New S line fixer upper

DOM1H

Hi all, just bought a mates 170 2.0. His wife has been using it for a few years to ferry the kids about, so it was full of  discarded crisps & dribble, but under that there’s a great car with pretty much FSH & 109k. However has been neglected in recent years. I’m setting about bringing it back to full working order! Questions for you guys please: Rear wiper stuck in up position - worth diagnosing, or just buy a new motor? Central locking - works, but drivers door only opens with key. Passenger side also seems to take a few presses of the key to open too, anyone had this issue/know a resolution? Also need a major service in cambelt & wp & would like to code the mirrors to work on the key. In Bishops Stortford, anyone have any recommendations on a tech in the vicinity? Apologies for long post & happy new year to all! 😁

Welcome to the forum Dom, sounds like you've got a good project there. The first job I'd do I'd the Cambelt and water pump. 

Regarding the wiper, my advice would be to dismantle the boot trim to inspect the motor and look for water ingress into the boot etc. Usually the motors seize due to water leaks. 

The central locking might need a diagnostic check as it could be a door module, remote signal receiver or an issue with the key. My advice would be to get an auto electrician to take a look. 

Regarding the mirrors the auto function might require you to get new mirrors with the function. It's the case with the a6 c5 like mine. 

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum Dom, sounds like you've got a good project there. The first job I'd do I'd the Cambelt and water pump. 

Regarding the wiper, my advice would be to dismantle the boot trim to inspect the motor and look for water ingress into the boot etc. Usually the motors seize due to water leaks. 

The central locking might need a diagnostic check as it could be a door module, remote signal receiver or an issue with the key. My advice would be to get an auto electrician to take a look. 

Regarding the mirrors the auto function might require you to get new mirrors with the function. It's the case with the a6 c5 like mine. 

Hi Cliff, thanks for responding. £700, really? Is that franchised dealer pricing? 

Just over £700 is what I paid at an Audi dealer three years ago. The high cost is the reason owners delay getting it done. If it proves necessary to add the cost of a new wiper motor and door lock actuators you could be looking at a repair bill of over £1000.

5 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Eek! Did I mention the AC doesn’t appear to work?! I pray it just needs a re-gas!! Uneconomical to pay main dealer prices on a car that’s only cost me a grand so far.. Hence my requests for any tech recommendations.. I’m keeping my fingers crossed! 

5 hours ago, DOM1H said:

Eek! Did I mention the AC doesn’t appear to work?! I pray it just needs a re-gas!! Uneconomical to pay main dealer prices on a car that’s only cost me a grand so far.. Hence my requests for any tech recommendations.. I’m keeping my fingers crossed! 

When you're using your ventilation system is the econ button lit up? If so it would imply the ac isn't working at all which could mean a failed compressor. 

Regarding Cambelt I paid £600-£650 on mine at an independent garage. Baring in mind it's a front of the car off job or it definitely is on my a6 c5. 

My rear wiper wasn't working on my A3 striped and cleaned everything to find the motor still works but the gear it drives has been stripped of its teeth. I am hoping a new gear will be all I need at a cost if around £10 on eBay. After market motors seam to be £20ish+ and second hand seam to 25ish+. Took about two hours to clean up nicely.  Hope this helps.