Early 100 C3, how early?

Douglas McGavin

Got my Audi back and am now going to use it, just had new steering pump and all the mechanics redone, my Brother got his fitters ( one is an ex Audi mechanic) to do everything.

The 100CD now has 32195 original mileage, and I'm trying to find out its value? It's the 1986 model c3 I think.  I lost my temper as I couldn't get a steering pump so gave it to my Brother he did it up then gave it back to me so it's back on the road, it's going to be driven now though.

Hi everyone,

I have been following this post as I have been looking for an early C3 to feature in an architectural photobook that is due to be published next year,  and would like to speak to any owners who might be interested.

If so, can you get in touch and I can provide further details. Any assistance much appreciated!

Many thanks,

John 

Hello John,

Thanks for joining. So that members are better informed of what is involved and the reason for involvement, could you please let the forum know:-

Why Audi in particular, as opposed to any marque of the period of interest?
Why a C3 in particular? 
Location?

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, 

Thanks for responding so quickly. The book is about significant automotive and architectural design of the 20th century, and we wanted to choose an Audi 100 C3 in particular as it represented a step change in car design at the start of the 1980’s, particularly in the field of aerodynamics. 
The project is a collaboration with the architectural photographer, Daniel Hopkinson - I have attached a link to his website here: https://www.danielhopkinson.com

and the book is being published by the Modernist- link also attached: https://the-modernist.org

what we have tended to do is find the car and see if we can locate a significant work of architecture in the vicinity. The session normally takes around 1-2hours max.

Hope this answers your queries and thanks for your help!

best regards 

John 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit confused the Ford Cortina and Granada were ahead of Audi as far as this shape is concerned, I sent photos to the main email address of the owners club as I don't know how to add on the forum. 

Ok great - I’ll have a look for a suitable location and let you know what I find. Did you say you put some pictures on the main website? I wasn’t sure where to look. Cheers, John

Hello John,

With a view to best securing forum members interests, and so that they can better decide whether they want to be involved or not:- 

Are you going to be ensuring all insurance liabilities are covered? 
Will you just be meeting member’s out of pocket expenses, or will you be offering payment for their time and inconvenience. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi All, thanks for the comments. Just to reassure you that I have done almost twenty photoshoots this year and really enjoyed the engagement of a variety of owners and marques. I am working with a professional photographer who has all insurances in place and I have offered to cover costs for all owners. Apologies if you think there is any suspicion on what I am proposing, but I have offered to share the details of this as per the above post. I am really doing it as a personal project in my spare time and have been self funding all costs myself, but understand if none of you wish to be involved. Thanks for your time in considering this. I am still looking to feature an Audi 100, so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. John 

• Like 1

Thanks John - no offence made, but I think it’s only right that owners are made aware of what the situation is, in order that they can decide whether they wish to be involved or not. 

To try to box this up, although the arrangement will be made between yourself and the owner, any insurance cover would be between the photographer and the owner. 
I think you (personally and not involving the photographer) are being very fair to cover any costs, and you have now openly coloured in the relevant details to allay any suspicion.

Please don’t give up hope that someone may come along to satisfy your requirements.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

I have looked on both websites but can't find anything to do with cars? If you can supply more information I would think about it but only if I am with the vehicle at all times, I have already lost a 635 csi in 2004 and don't want to lose this. And Friday afternoons I have regular hospital Saturdays I see my son and Grandson 

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Thanks for your responses- it is really appreciated and hope I have clarified some of the queries. For a bit more background, I am an architect in my day job and the book is an architectural book as much as a book about car design. Daniel, the photographer is an architectural photographer by trade, but also has a keen interest in vehicle design which is how the project started. I thought it might be good to show a recent example of one of the shots we have completed for the book with a Renault 9 to give you a flavour! Thanks again, John

image.thumb.png.2bfb4f0d0eb0376975c469cddc702f01.png

Many thanks for the additional information John. 

Am I allowed to say that in my total ignorance of architectural design, I think the building looks terrible!

Please excuse this opinion John, on the basis that I’m old, and tend to say what I think. 
Good luck with the book. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, all opinions welcome! I think that’s why I am enjoying doing this project as it is blending the car and building worlds together! Also I forgot to mention, that of course, we will give the owner a copy of the prints and the book when it comes out in the new year. 

Best Regards,

John

• Like 1