Rusting of the Inner wheels of a 2021 Audi Q2

Ian Young

My wife purchased her Q2 in July 2021, from new, and we have noticed that the inner wheel between the Alloy and brake housing on all four wheels.

We have approached JCT in Doncaster and Audi HQ and they have simply said that as a matter of goodwill, they will repaint the damaged section but state that this will only last perhaps one year, and they will not do it again.

Been back to Audi HQ, and its as if they are not bothered.

Anyone else had similar problem or any suitable advice please.

Hello Ian,

Thanks for being in touch. 
It’s probably me, but I’m having difficulty in clearly identifying precisely where this corrosion is - inner wheel rim, or ‘wheel attachment area’ on the car. 
Perhaps you could clarify. 
Could you also let us know how and where the car is normally cleaned. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Could you upload some pics of the corrosion. Either way I think you should t expect rust on a two year old car in today's day and age. Bare in mind if the garage repaint/sort the rust you will get 12 months warranty on the work carried out with a main dealer. Or you should do. 

Morning. I have up loaded the pics. I'm hopeless with cars so my description was not the best.  Re washing, Normally the old fashioned bucket and sponge way, but on occasions I use the local car wash folk with their jet wash.

Ian

20220206_123128.jpg

20220206_123111.jpg

20220206_123059.jpg

20220206_123047.jpg

Thanks Ian,

Looks typical of corrosion of the centre of the brake discs - not uncommon as the discs age - and largely cosmetic. The difference here is that that surface rust is manifesting itself in a relatively short space of time, and is not a good advert for Audi.
Rust treating and painting should improve the situation, and if done properly, should last longer than it has so far. 

Now the one question you haven’t answered Ian is how and where the car is cleaned. Could you let us know. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth.

Thanks for your comments. Indeed it is a poor advert Audi, and their customer service leads much to be desired.

I did answer re the cleaning. Good old Sponge, car shampoo and hose pipe. I let the local car wash company have it when really mucky.

5 minutes ago, Ian Young said:

Hi Gareth.

Thanks for your comments. Indeed it is a poor advert Audi, and their customer service leads much to be desired.

I did answer re the cleaning. Good old Sponge, car shampoo and hose pipe. I let the local car wash company have it when really mucky.

Hi to be honest they all do that after about a year as the coating from the factory is only about two microns thick unfortunately if you want better you will have to take the wheels off and purchase some VHT paint and using a good quality paint brush do it your self on a nice hot day where you can give them a nice thick coating it will last the life of the disc.

Steve.

Sorry Ian, I missed your response to the car cleaning bit  - no excuse on my part!

I just wonder if the aggravator/ accelerated deterioration rests fairly and squarely with the local car wash folks with their jet wash. Personally, I wouldn’t let anyone with a jet washer anywhere near any car of mine. If you consider that a jet washer will remove debris from your patio, then just consider what it does for the paintwork of your car. 
If that isn’t enough, then wheel cleaning consists of dosing the wheel in acid, before blasting that acid around the wheel and between the ‘spokes’ - including the brake discs and any associated suspension components. Real bad news in respect to preserving the finish on any component. 
I’m with Steve’s method if you want to correct the damage already done, and sorry Ian, but I think blaming Audi for the result of any aggressive cleaning regimes at any time, maybe a a step too far. if you do opt for the dealers ‘temporary’ fix then I would be staying well away from anyone wielding a jet lance in future! 

Apologies for the adverse comments, but the reasoning  is well meant.

Kind regards,

Gareth.