Intermittent Delay When Starting

lryoung81

Hi folks.

I recently bought a 2006 A6 2.0TDI that has an intermittent problem when starting. So, what happens:

I put the key in the ignition and turn to the first position, the steering lock reacts as it should, I get all correct dash lights, all the electrics work and there are no error messages - so far so good. But then I turn the key to the start position and there's a delay (sometimes less than a second, other times as much as 2 or 3 seconds) before the engine cranks. When it does decide to crank it always starts, but there's an intermittent hesitation before it decides that it wants to crank.

It's recently had a new battery and alternator as I was getting an overvoltage fault, but the alternator change has fixed that issue and the starter problem was there before these changes anyway.

I've heard reports of similar issues being made worse when it's cold, but I can't say for certain if that's the case with my car. What I can say is it's inconsistent.

Has anyone had this same issue, and if so, what was the cause/fix? If it is the starter, what could I expect to pay (in GBP) for a new motor and how long does it typically take to change?

Thanks

Laurie

I'd definitely put it down to outside temperature. I know my older A6 takes longer to start in cold mornings. You could always get a diagnostic check to see if everything is working as it should. 

22 hours ago, lryoung81 said:

Hi folks.

I recently bought a 2006 A6 2.0TDI that has an intermittent problem when starting. So, what happens:

I put the key in the ignition and turn to the first position, the steering lock reacts as it should, I get all correct dash lights, all the electrics work and there are no error messages - so far so good. But then I turn the key to the start position and there's a delay (sometimes less than a second, other times as much as 2 or 3 seconds) before the engine cranks. When it does decide to crank it always starts, but there's an intermittent hesitation before it decides that it wants to crank.

It's recently had a new battery and alternator as I was getting an overvoltage fault, but the alternator change has fixed that issue and the starter problem was there before these changes anyway.

I've heard reports of similar issues being made worse when it's cold, but I can't say for certain if that's the case with my car. What I can say is it's inconsistent.

Has anyone had this same issue, and if so, what was the cause/fix? If it is the starter, what could I expect to pay (in GBP) for a new motor and how long does it typically take to change?

Thanks

Laurie

Hi its probably weary glow plugs as the coil light has to cycle before it will start cranking, my A6 does it especially on cold mornings I am going to change my plugs as at nearly 120k I think I have had my moneys worth.

Steve.