Jump to content

Seat belt sticking.... pre-tensioner issue...?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi  I recently aquired a lovely 2018 70k mile A6 Diesel following the death of father in law.  Drive likes new.  

I love the big old barge - but it has developed an issue with the drivers' seat belt - in that when it retracts it locks and wont come out - and then a few minutes later (normally after tugging at/jiggling it and/or drving 50m down the road) it releases as normal. 

Is this a common issue? and/or something that's easily rectified? 

I'm wondering if the pre-tensioner is engaging? (as it releases itself eventually) or if it's another common fault...

Thanks in anticipation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Sarge B said:

Hi  I recently aquired a lovely 2018 70k mile A6 Diesel following the death of father in law.  Drive likes new.  

I love the big old barge - but it has developed an issue with the drivers' seat belt - in that when it retracts it locks and wont come out - and then a few minutes later (normally after tugging at/jiggling it and/or drving 50m down the road) it releases as normal. 

Is this a common issue? and/or something that's easily rectified? 

I'm wondering if the pre-tensioner is engaging? (as it releases itself eventually) or if it's another common fault...

Thanks in anticipation.

 

its a 2008 not 2018..!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sarge B said:

Hi  I recently aquired a lovely 2018 70k mile A6 Diesel following the death of father in law.  Drive likes new.  

I love the big old barge - but it has developed an issue with the drivers' seat belt - in that when it retracts it locks and wont come out - and then a few minutes later (normally after tugging at/jiggling it and/or drving 50m down the road) it releases as normal. 

Is this a common issue? and/or something that's easily rectified? 

I'm wondering if the pre-tensioner is engaging? (as it releases itself eventually) or if it's another common fault...

Thanks in anticipation.

 

Hi there is a rolling ball device in the spool that the belt is wound onto which normally gets dry and full of gunge, if you remove the trim and hose it down with silicone spray it normally starts working again if you get it in the released position and work it back and forth so it revolves the spool whilst spraying, WD40 works better but it stinks for ages afterward.

Steve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2022 at 6:51 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi there is a rolling ball device in the spool that the belt is wound onto which normally gets dry and full of gunge, if you remove the trim and hose it down with silicone spray it normally starts working again if you get it in the released position and work it back and forth so it revolves the spool whilst spraying, WD40 works better but it stinks for ages afterward.

Steve.

That’s brilliant - I shall give it a go over the weekend. 
 

WD40 will probably smell better than me anyway…. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, Sarge B said:

Hi  I recently aquired a lovely 2018 70k mile A6 Diesel following the death of father in law.  Drive likes new.  

I love the big old barge - but it has developed an issue with the drivers' seat belt - in that when it retracts it locks and wont come out - and then a few minutes later (normally after tugging at/jiggling it and/or drving 50m down the road) it releases as normal. 

Is this a common issue? and/or something that's easily rectified? 

I'm wondering if the pre-tensioner is engaging? (as it releases itself eventually) or if it's another common fault...

Thanks in anticipation.

 

Madly soled it in a random way.... Ive got a wireless charger/holder for my phone... and if I put my phone in it first - it wont let me start the car (no lights even come on)... and it locks the seat belt tensioner...

If I dont put it in the holder first - then I've not had it occur once...

Must be a massive power drain causing some sort of issue...however if phone is plugged in via a normal cable it's fine....proper random...!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Steve Q said:

How old is the battery? Failing batteries can cause all sorts of weird electrical issues. 

Genuinely no idea - looks new and sadly can't ask the father in law anymore...

Absolutely fine as long as I don't put the phone in the cradle first..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sarge B said:

Genuinely no idea - looks new and sadly can't ask the father in law anymore...

Absolutely fine as long as I don't put the phone in the cradle first..

I'd get the battery checked as a priority. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 9:25 PM, Steve Q said:

How old is the battery? Failing batteries can cause all sorts of weird electrical issues. 

My old battery looked brand new as well, but it was thirteen years old (original battery)

I was having trouble with doors not locking or unlocking, got a new battery and all is fine now.  😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership