Cam belt & water pump replacement

Afiac

Hi everyone, just wondering should I change my cam belt and water pump this year or leave it for a year or two. I have a 66 reg (September) A4 ultra SE with 64,250 miles on the clock. I will have the car 1 year in June(57k when I got it)

I spoke to Audi and they recommend a change after 5 years or 140k but I have researched it a bit and many people say that with average miles it wouldn't need to be done yet even after it hits 5 years.

Audi have quoted £599 plus free Mots for the life of the car and it's a 3 hour round trip to them. My local indi which has a good rep can do it for about £300 ish plus vat so Ill head there whenever I decide.

Thank you for reading this and I look forward to any replies given. 

Hello Ciaran,

Audi’s recommendation is correct in terms of 5 years or 140k, but the important thing is - whichever comes first.

Your car is now approaching 6 years old, so changing the Cambelt assembly is now overdue. 
You can take a chance and delay it, but a chance it will be, and looking at it logically, you are going to have to pay to get it done at some point, so why not now before it goes too long out of schedule. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies, yes my inclination was to be cautious and get it done especially since I plan to have the car for 4-5 years so I will have peace of my mind at an early stage. I looked at the belt and it looks normal but then I'm not a mechanic and there is a lot of the belt I can't see from my position. Paying out 400 now  beats paying out a possible 4000 later any day of the week. 

56 minutes ago, Afiac said:

Thanks for your replies, yes my inclination was to be cautious and get it done especially since I plan to have the car for 4-5 years so I will have peace of my mind at an early stage. I looked at the belt and it looks normal but then I'm not a mechanic and there is a lot of the belt I can't see from my position. Paying out 400 now  beats paying out a possible 4000 later any day of the week. 

Definitely. Plus you can't always tell if it's going to go. Also the water pump could seize which would knacker it. 

• Thanks 1

Hello Ciaran, 

Personally, I think you have made the right decision. Also if it were mine, I would certainly change the water pump as well - if driven by the Cambelt ( sorry I’m not sure with your engine, but someone will advise). 
I’ve always stuck with Gates kits if I’m not using VAG, and I’m sure they are an OE supplier to VAG anyway. Worth checking with your independent what they will be using. I have found that VAG seem to be much cheaper with water pumps than they used to be - particularly with a bit of discount. 
As an insurance, I would also renew the auxiliary belt ( driving alternator, air con. compressor) at the same time, since this has to be taken off to do the cambelt anyway, so should be virtually zero additional labour cost. 
Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

Excellent , yes I will take all advice onboard and talk to the garage about the auxiliary belt etc. When I got the quote I had asked for a water pump change too so this would be included in the price. I will double check when I book everything that is included in the price. 

• Like 1