Fibreglass wings

Steve Q

Has anyone had any experience with fibreglass wings? 

I'm considering having some made for my a6 as Im sick of the front wings rusting. 

I know this was a common thing in the 70s/80s when cars rusted faster just seeing if anyone can recommend any companies too. 

Thank you 🙂

Hello Steve,

In my experience via. classic cars, once you have rust, you are unlikely to prevent its return except via. cutting out beyond the rusted area, and letting in new metal. Even then, you have welded, or part welded joins to contend with. 
Fibreglass wings? - that’s a blast from the past when they were readily available for cars in the 60s and 70s - often with questionable fit, and a fair degree of preparation. 
I guess you have exhausted the possibility of better-than- yours secondhand ones both via the U.K. and the Continent? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Steve,

In my experience via. classic cars, once you have rust, you are unlikely to prevent its return except via. cutting out beyond the rusted area, and letting in new metal. Even then, you have welded, or part welded joins to contend with. 
Fibreglass wings? - that’s a blast from the past when they were readily available for cars in the 60s and 70s - often with questionable fit, and a fair degree of preparation. 
I guess you have exhausted the possibility of better-than- yours secondhand ones both via the U.K. and the Continent? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hey Gareth the rust is round the arch rim. Common on VAG cars of the era as I'm sure you know. I could easily fit new metal wings but as I'm never going to sell the car I was thinking of having some made to help lower repair/replacement costs in the future. It aves me buying new wings every 6 years. 

Kind Regards

Steve

8 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Has anyone had any experience with fibreglass wings? 

I'm considering having some made for my a6 as Im sick of the front wings rusting. 

I know this was a common thing in the 70s/80s when cars rusted faster just seeing if anyone can recommend any companies too. 

Thank you 🙂

Hi unless the pattern is perfect they are likely to be fitting wise like poking smoke up a cats backside with a knitting needle believe me I used to fit them during the early eighties and soon discovered the unfits of a good quality aftermarket steel item and Waxoyl under seal, yes fibreglass won't rot but it also won't stand the odd tap with a hide mallet to get the shut gaps perfect.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi unless the pattern is perfect they are likely to be fitting wise like poking smoke up a cats backside with a knitting needle believe me I used to fit them during the early eighties and soon discovered the unfits of a good quality aftermarket steel item and Waxoyl under seal, yes fibreglass won't rot but it also won't stand the odd tap with a hide mallet to get the shut gaps perfect.

Steve.

Thank you. I was thinking a company could take moulds from wings that had been all aligned up on my A6. I know it'll cost more but thinking of the car in the long term. Plus I'm hoping the fibreglass manufacturing process has improved since the 70s and 80s. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Thank you. I was thinking a company could take moulds from wings that had been all aligned up on my A6. I know it'll cost more but thinking of the car in the long term. Plus I'm hoping the fibreglass manufacturing process has improved since the 70s and 80s. 

Don't hold your breath. New GRP technology has moved on but you must explain how critical the fit will be before spending your hard earned.

Steve.

12 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Don't hold your breath. New GRP technology has moved on but you must explain how critical the fit will be before spending your hard earned.

Steve.

Thank you. Any companies you'd recommend Steve? 

Alternatively I could consider carbon fibre wings but they'll be eye watering in price. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Thank you. Any companies you'd recommend Steve? 

Alternatively I could consider carbon fibre wings but they'll be eye watering in price. 

Hi don't know of any in your area but I am sure there must be GRP manufacturers in your area we only have Fibre sports in our area but I wouldn't use them as the work is suspect and they only really cater for all the little Dweebs in MK6 Fiestas, many a night I have seen them removing the new GRP font air dams  on the speed bumps in Asda carpark and by week two they are all held together with cable ties they don't do drilling and Spire Bolts, I always thought the company name sounded like a go faster laxative supplier.

Steve.

57 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi don't know of any in your area but I am sure there must be GRP manufacturers in your area we only have Fibre sports in our area but I wouldn't use them as the work is suspect and they only really cater for all the little Dweebs in MK6 Fiestas, many a night I have seen them removing the new GRP font air dams  on the speed bumps in Asda carpark and by week two they are all held together with cable ties they don't do drilling and Spire Bolts, I always thought the company name sounded like a go faster laxative supplier.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I'll have a look and see what companies I can find locally. 

Lol I'll agree the name sounds Dodgy 😂

Hello Steve,

Apologies, but my experience echoes that of Steve Y, and even if you can find someone to make you a pair of one-offs, I fear the cost will be prohibitive, and you are not going to know how good they will fit, until you’ve paid your hard earned. Couple that with the probable reluctance of Bodyshops to want to be involved in painting them - without premium and probable reluctance to guarantee the finish and its lasting capabilities. 
As Steve Y says , the best option is to do the best to pre treat the arches of the best available ones you can buy, and this will usually include thoroughly ( but gently) sandblasting any affected areas as a starting point for paint and rust ‘proofing’ procedure. 
Sorry Steve and not sure that this will be what you want to hear, but fibreglass would not be for me - personal opinion of course. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

8 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Thanks for your advice Gareth and Steve. I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the new metal wings. 

Hi you can't beat good old four gauge, you can beat it, sand it, fill it and stretch it, money well spent in my humble opinion. 

Steve.

6 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi you can't beat good old four gauge, you can beat it, sand it, fill it and stretch it, money well spent in my humble opinion. 

Steve.

Thanks Steve 🙂 

8 hours ago, audia4b5kev said:

Wow thanks for the link kev! Unfortunately they're in Belarus which if I'm not mistaken is going to come under sanctions due to the ongoing war. 

It was like the steel undertray I wanted. It would have come from Russia so can't get that now. 

2 hours ago, audia4b5kev said:

steel under tray  ??  still posting   

Yep you could get one made by a Russian company for various Audi models including the c5. Was contemplating one for when I can get back out on my more scenic road trips lol.