3.0 TFSI Difference’s? 299-310-333

Aiden V

Hi! I’m kinda new to forums in general. I want to buy myself the baby version of my dream car [C7 Rs6] and I’m looking for an A6 with the 3.0 TFSI, I got two great offers. One is with the 3.0 299HP engine and the other is one with the 310HP variant. Is there any significant difference? Like it’s more robust n stuff like this.

sorry if I made any errors while typing I’m German! 😄

Welcome to the forum you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

I can't tell you what small detail there'll be with the two other than the engine power and torque, but even the 299 could be remapped. The generic advice on the 3.0tdi is as follows. 

camchains, camchain tensioner and injectors were known to fail on early cars. The cam chain is at the back of the engine so it's an engine out job to change (from what I understand).

Another thing to watch for is the gearbox oil change....every 38k. So either make sure it's been done, or use it as a bargaining point if it's coming soon.

DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter. An extra blob of emissions control hardware in diesel exhausts that captures micro particles of soot.. when it is "full" the car initiates a DPF regeneration (regen) to burn off the soot. You can tell when it is happening 'cos the car holds lower gears - and if you park up you hear what sounds like the radiator fan running and it can smell hot. 

If you repeatedly allow the regen to not complete then the theory is that the DPF can gets clogged up.... simply cannot be cleared out. That requires a replacement (££££) or there are companies around that claim they can sort them. 

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Welcome to the forum you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂

I can't tell you what small detail there'll be with the two other than the engine power and torque, but even the 299 could be remapped. The generic advice on the 3.0tdi is as follows. 

camchains, camchain tensioner and injectors were known to fail on early cars. The cam chain is at the back of the engine so it's an engine out job to change (from what I understand).

Another thing to watch for is the gearbox oil change....every 38k. So either make sure it's been done, or use it as a bargaining point if it's coming soon.

DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter. An extra blob of emissions control hardware in diesel exhausts that captures micro particles of soot.. when it is "full" the car initiates a DPF regeneration (regen) to burn off the soot. You can tell when it is happening 'cos the car holds lower gears - and if you park up you hear what sounds like the radiator fan running and it can smell hot. 

If you repeatedly allow the regen to not complete then the theory is that the DPF can gets clogged up.... simply cannot be cleared out. That requires a replacement (££££) or there are companies around that claim they can sort them. 

Im so thankful for your wonderful reply but I’m looking for the 3.0 TFSI Benzin I think your call it a Petrol Engine. Thanks to all the regulations in Germany i need to fear the possibility of Diesel restrictions in bigger cities so only Petrol, Electric or Hybrid will be options for me. As I don’t want to sell the car in the next 3-4 years. 

The 3.0 TFSI has 3 different versions the 299 the 310 and the 333 HP but I don’t know the diff between the 299 and 310 as I can’t find anything useful online! 

1 hour ago, Aiden V said:

Im so thankful for your wonderful reply but I’m looking for the 3.0 TFSI Benzin I think your call it a Petrol Engine. Thanks to all the regulations in Germany i need to fear the possibility of Diesel restrictions in bigger cities so only Petrol, Electric or Hybrid will be options for me. As I don’t want to sell the car in the next 3-4 years. 

The 3.0 TFSI has 3 different versions the 299 the 310 and the 333 HP but I don’t know the diff between the 299 and 310 as I can’t find anything useful online! 

I'm so sorry I should have reread your post before posting. I've found this useful link that might help: 

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/common-issues-with-3-0t-supercharged-tfsi-audi-engines1.html