2010 2.0 tdi exhaust blow

740mick

Afternoon all,been out in the Q5 today and it developed a loud exhaust blow,upon investigation it seems to be the metal pipe that comes from the EGR valve going into the engine block(i,m guessing)

The middle section of this small pipe seems to have completely fractured and broke away as i can get my finger in either end,

I know this description is probably vague but does anyone know what the pipe is called and is it a dealer only part?

After trawling the t,internet seems its just called an EGR pipe,seems readily available from various sources,so left car and keys with Bosses mechanic son to be done this week while i,m away with work,at least it held up on our 1045mile trip last week.

On 5/29/2022 at 5:11 PM, 740mick said:

After trawling the t,internet seems its just called an EGR pipe,seems readily available from various sources,so left car and keys with Bosses mechanic son to be done this week while i,m away with work,at least it held up on our 1045mile trip last week.

Glad you're getting it sorted. The egr is a nuisance part on modern diesels that's for sure. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This issue has raised its head again,

On way to work this morning i accelerated to overtake a truck and the glow plug light started flashing and i had reduced power,My gaffers son is a mechanic so asked him to take a look and he says the egr pipe has cracked again,this was a genuine dealer part so i am now wondering what can be causing this issue,

New turbo fitted last December and new dpf fitted February this year,

Anyone shed any light?

1 hour ago, 740mick said:

This issue has raised its head again,

On way to work this morning i accelerated to overtake a truck and the glow plug light started flashing and i had reduced power,My gaffers son is a mechanic so asked him to take a look and he says the egr pipe has cracked again,this was a genuine dealer part so i am now wondering what can be causing this issue,

New turbo fitted last December and new dpf fitted February this year,

Anyone shed any light?

Hi mysterious one this, its definitely not the turbo as this has nothing to do with the EGR if you could post a picture of it that may well shed more light on the subject it sounds like a blockage somewhere as thats the only time I have seen them fracture especially when some Div has blanked one end off.

1505D190-7291-43D9-9AEF-BC62B8290FEB.thumb.png.65823501d674dcc9af257169b282784a.pngThis is the pipe that has cracked again Stevey,right in the middle where the 3 strengthening ribs are,i wondered if the egr was blocked and whether just get a new egr first as last,

Its a shame as its taking the shine off an otherwise lovely car.

32 minutes ago, 740mick said:

33 minutes ago, 740mick said:

1505D190-7291-43D9-9AEF-BC62B8290FEB.thumb.png.65823501d674dcc9af257169b282784a.pngThis is the pipe that has cracked again Stevey,right in the middle where the 3 strengthening ribs are,i wondered if the egr was blocked and whether just get a new egr first as last,

Hi its only a short run pipe so I would not expect it to do that, it would suggest a blockage but it could well be an engine vibration issue but I doubt it as these things are made of a high grade stainless steel trouble being its very brittle, check the EGR cooler is not blocked.

Steve.

Hello Mick,

Exactly where in the middle has the pipe cracked. Can you highlight it on the photo? Radial or along the length of the pipe? I think I know where you mean, but want to be sure on exactly where. 
Was  this replacement pipe new? - it looks rather secondhand for only 1000 miles of use. 
Dependent on this location - it could be a too-much- movement issue, but….
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,its cracked both times on the 3 ribs in the centre of the pipe,that pic is just a sample pic off Google,i bought a genuine Audi part to replace the 1st one and shall do again to replace this one,i did wonder if it could be a vibration issue but the car doesn,t feel unusually rough,quite refined really which surprised me when i bought it having mainly run 6 cyl petrol BMWs over the years.

The crack has been radial both times.

Edited by 740mick

Thanks Mick,

Sorry to be pedantic, but in one of the two ‘grooves’ of the three ‘peaks’, or on the ‘peaks’ themselves? 
Failure point of the replacement, exactly the same point as the original? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

No its ok Gareth all input gratefully received,the first pipe blew a hole on its outer edge with a radial crack going round the back but the most recent is just a small crack radially in the 1st groove

Hello Mick,

So you’ve had two different modes of failure on two pipes - very odd. I would say the latest failure is typical of stress fracturing - which could be excessive movement between the two fixing points. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Looks like you have hit the nail on the head with your comment on stress fracturing Gareth,

My mechanic says that at some time in the cars history it looks like a stud has broken and been drilled out and replaced by a pin that must be slightly misaligned as the first pipe to break was an absolute pig to replace,so he is thinking that with the car getting hot then cold it has caused the pipe to fracture,so today he is stripping it all down for access to hopefully remedy this issue and fit another new genuine egr pipe,

Fingers crossed for a successful result.

• Like 1