Exhaust Gas Temp Bank 1 Sensor 1

BigTownz

1 hour ago, BigTownz said:

So, I fitted the new glow plug with pressure sensor today.  Cleared all the codes and re-adapted the senor and other sensors in the loop. Same issue persists, no power, wont drive above 30mph and kicking out lots of black smoke. Any thoughts?

Just to add, VCDS is no longer picking any error codes up

🙈

Hi it sounds like massive overfuelling and you have removed the obvious candidates that have had codes which brings me to the last possible options, the fuel metering solenoid on the end of the fuel rail where the HPFP in feed line comes in, I don't think these are monitored by the ECU and if its jammed open that will cause problems with excess fuel supply, the other one is the MAP sensor but they will normally throw a code when failing, check the fuel rail pressures on live data and see if the fuel rail pressure rises above standard demands when revving the engine.

Steve.

• 6 months later...

11 minutes ago, Faisal Farooq said:

@BigTownz did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I have similar symptoms so thought I'd ask 

Hi Faisal, regrettably with all the fantastic help I had here from stevey, no I didn't.

I poured money into it changing each sensor, changing turber, EGR cooler etc and it was never right again. In the end I got rid and went back to BMW 😅

But what I will say is because I had the DPF removed and remapped, this could of been hiding the true fault. But I didn't have the heart to put more money into it.

Sorry I couldn't help further 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigTownz said:

Hi Faisal, regrettably with all the fantastic help I had here from stevey, no I didn't.

I poured money into it changing each sensor, changing turber, EGR cooler etc and it was never right again. In the end I got rid and went back to BMW 😅

But what I will say is because I had the DPF removed and remapped, this could of been hiding the true fault. But I didn't have the heart to put more money into it.

Sorry I couldn't help further 

Thank you for the quick response. That helps quite a lot to be honest. At least I know the things you changed didn't help. I've got mine booked in for tomorrow so will see how I get on from that and take it from there. Fingers crossed. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2022 at 8:09 PM, Stevey Y said:

PS don't forget to re adapt it on VCDS before running.

Hi, what does "re adapt" mean here, and what is involved?

In my case it's a 2015 A3 2.0 Tdi 8V CUNA engine.

Is it meaning that, once you fit the replacement sensor, there is some jiggerypokery to do on VCDS to get the ECU to acknowledge the new sensor?

Thanks

Edited by futtret

5 hours ago, futtret said:

Hi, what does "re adapt" mean here, and what is involved?

In my case it's a 2015 A3 2.0 Tdi 8V CUNA engine.

Is it meaning that, once you fit the replacement sensor, there is some jiggerypokery to do on VCDS to get the ECU to acknowledge the new sensor?

Thanks

Hi it means in simple terms re adapt this is the process of telling the ECU that it has a new sensor that will read differently from the old one, therefore the term re learning its values therefore giving the ECU the correct information within its operating strategy.

49 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi it means in simple terms re adapt this is the process of telling the ECU that it has a new sensor that will read differently from the old one, therefore the term re learning its values therefore giving the ECU the correct information within its operating strategy.

Thanks for that. 

Can this be done using VCDS and if so, do you happen to know a rough stepbystep process - I'm going to pass this onto my garage in case they are unaware - I'm not a user of VCDS myself.

My sensor has been changed and still getting the same fault code, so worth a try, thanks

1 minute ago, futtret said:

Thanks for that. 

Can this be done using VCDS and if so, do you happen to know a rough stepbystep process - I'm going to pass this onto my garage in case they are unaware - I'm not a user of VCDS myself.

My sensor has been changed and still getting the same fault code, so worth a try, thanks

Hi yes it can be done with VCDS you have to go into basic settings and scroll through the menu it will have a box for re adaptation for your sensor, might be nice if you can tell us which one was changed?

36 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi yes it can be done with VCDS you have to go into basic settings and scroll through the menu it will have a box for re adaptation for your sensor, might be nice if you can tell us which one was changed?

Thanks. 

Well, it's turning into a bit of a saga as seems to be common. 

First sensor to be changed was the pressure sensor on the glow plug, fault code P13D600, internal pressure cylinder 3. Flashing coil light returned. 

Then EGT sensor 2 was changed (didn't get the fault code). Flashing coil light returned. 

Then EGT bank 1 sensor 1, fault code P054500. Flashing coil light & EML came on and constant EML on. Back in the garage as that's where we're at. 

Car has been doing the odd misfire when accelerating after cold start. So I'm wondering whether it may be a fuel injection issue as root cause.  There has been another fault code in the past of P214600 fuel injector group A supply voltage circuit open

Edited by futtret