Excessive fuel consumption Audi A4 1.4 TFSI (with photos)

Karezma

Hi Audi Fans, 

I just bought an Audi A4 1.4 TFSI 2017 (Automatic) few months ago. I noticed that the car is consuming and eating too much gas. I commuted so far 2160 KM and I had to fill-up the tank 4 times so far.  I decided to watch the consumption while driving and see what consumption is and I was shocked when I looked at the numbers. 

• On residential areas (low speed - city), the consumption is 20 L / 100 KM (14.12MPG)! 
  • On highway driving on avg of 100 KM / h, the consumption can be the least 8.9 L / 100 KM (32 MPG)

I went to different mechanics and most of them are saying thats pretty normal but I don't believe them. so I decided to drive my friend's car which is completely the same, I noticed that his car is making maximum of 6.8 L / 100 KM  on low speeds. 

Any ideas what could be the root causes of this issue? 

I checked already the tyre pressure, the fuel is EUR 95 and both cars are filling-up from the same station. 

photo_5875320205444495884_y.jpg

photo_5875320205444495883_y.jpg

photo_5875320205444495882_y.jpg

photo_5875320205444495881_y.jpg

photo_5875320205444495880_y.jpg

Hello Sherif,

You seem to have carried out a comparative test using an identical car over similar journeys and the consumption seems to be high to me.

Questions:- has your 5 year old car been recalled and dealt with under the emissions issue? If so, was this done before you owned it? 
Has your friend’s car been dealt with under the emissions recall? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

8 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Sherif,

You seem to have carried out a comparative test using an identical car over similar journeys and the consumption seems to be high to me.

Questions:- has your 5 year old car been recalled and dealt with under the emissions issue? If so, was this done before you owned it? 
Has your friend’s car been dealt with under the emissions recall? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

None of our cars were recalled under the emissions issue. 

On 9/26/2022 at 5:46 PM, Karezma said:

Hi Audi Fans, 

I just bought an Audi A4 1.4 TFSI 2017 (Automatic) few months ago. I noticed that the car is consuming and eating too much gas. I commuted so far 2160 KM and I had to fill-up the tank 4 times so far.  I decided to watch the consumption while driving and see what consumption is and I was shocked when I looked at the numbers. 

• On residential areas (low speed - city), the consumption is 20 L / 100 KM (14.12MPG)! 
  • On highway driving on avg of 100 KM / h, the consumption can be the least 8.9 L / 100 KM (32 MPG)

I went to different mechanics and most of them are saying thats pretty normal but I don't believe them. so I decided to drive my friend's car which is completely the same, I noticed that his car is making maximum of 6.8 L / 100 KM  on low speeds. 

Any ideas what could be the root causes of this issue? 

I checked already the tyre pressure, the fuel is EUR 95 and both cars are filling-up from the same station. 

photo_5875320205444495884_y.jpg

photo_5875320205444495883_y.jpg

photo_5875320205444495882_y.jpg

photo_5875320205444495881_y.jpg

photo_5875320205444495880_y.jpg

Check the fuel rails. There's certain 1.4 engines that break the bolts holding it on causing the bfuel rail to leak. 

• 7 months later...

I hope is not too late to leave my opinion. Check oxigen sensor,the first one before catalytic convertor. Can be dirty and can't smell exhaust gases properly,so he will sent notification to ECU like to much air on intake,the ECU will increase the fuel quantity in your engine and this is the result=high fuel consumtion. I had this problems before,the oxigen sensor can be death and will show you on dash(check engine light) or dirty from smoke and you can't see on computer but you will notice a high fuel consumtion.

• Like 1

First you need to run a diagnosis, after ceck air filter, oxigen senzori, injectors (return fuel). After that use a additive in fuel  to clean injector etc.(cataclean)  Ceck what drive mode you use, is a difference  between dinamic and comfort on fuel 

• 8 months later...