Q7 tyre to wheel arch gap

Sam11

Hello everyone

I had to replace the coil springs on my 2018 q7. Upon getting the vehicle back it looks as if it is sitting a little high.

is anyone able to advise based on the pictures. Is there a minimum gap that is required for these vehicles.

The car sat lower before but naturally because the springs had a split in them and had to be replaced to pass the MOT.

Please refer to pics

Any feedback would be appreciated.

9B7A7804-2185-4DFD-9DCB-114BEA831F96.jpeg

87218610-ABE2-41E8-83A9-EC4CDB987A5A.jpeg

E7888D3F-530F-4337-9CDB-34A2BADE458E.jpeg

30AA5F7A-9927-4FC8-9D41-629ABF8FD646.jpeg

Hello Sam,

Thanks for being in touch.
Who fitted your new springs for you , and if not a main dealer, were genuine Audi parts used, and if not - indeed the correct replacement fitment? 
There will be an unladen ‘distance’ measurement ( taken on level ground) from the wheel centre to the underside of the wheel arch, and this will have a specified tolerance. 
Sorry, what measurement is? - but your Audi dealer will know, or indeed you may well find it on a Google search. If all else fails - you can always measure another example of the same model.

Perhaps you can colour in there detail for us.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

5 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Sam,

Thanks for being in touch.
Who fitted your new springs for you , and if not a main dealer, were genuine Audi parts used, and if not - indeed the correct replacement fitment? 
There will be an unladen ‘distance’ measurement ( taken on level ground) from the wheel centre to the underside of the wheel arch, and this will have a specified tolerance. 
Sorry, what measurement is? - but your Audi dealer will know, or indeed you may well find it on a Google search. If all else fails - you can always measure another example of the same model.

Perhaps you can colour in there detail for us.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you both for feedback. Yes the coils were fitted by an Audi main dealer. I did phone them the  following day and was told they will settle and naturally the unladen distance will decrease. Have never had suspension issues on any other vehicle, but being the first decent car I’ve had thought to go to a main dealership. I only bought the car last October and had gotten so used to the car riding so low thought that this was the normal ride height.

12 minutes ago, Sam11 said:

Thank you both for feedback. Yes the coils were fitted by an Audi main dealer. I did phone them the  following day and was told they will settle and naturally the unladen distance will decrease. Have never had suspension issues on any other vehicle, but being the first decent car I’ve had thought to go to a main dealership. I only bought the car last October and had gotten so used to the car riding so low thought that this was the normal ride height.

If Audi have done it and fitted genuine parts at least you'll have come back for the next 12 months if you have issues with the springs. 

25 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

If Audi have done it and fitted genuine parts at least you'll have come back for the next 12 months if you have issues with the springs. 

Yes true they did say to bring the car in if still unsure, but will give new springs time to bed in. 

Hello Sam,

’..will naturally settle..etc…’ is rubbish. If they ‘settle’, then why don’t they continually settle, until a point where the tyre touches the arch? Springs are designed to compress under load, and return to their unladened condition once the load is removed. Yes, given many years of use, they will compress a little, but that will take years not weeks. You have been subjected to ‘receptionist speak’.
Reverting:- you have to find the correct figure I mentioned in my first post, and once armed with this, you can accurately determine whether your new set up is within tolerance - or not - and anything else is simply conjecture until you do that. You should be able to find this somewhere on a Google search, but best to e-Mail Audi your VIN and ask them the specific question. 
Perhaps you can come back to us Sam.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. As I think may have been mentioned, your old springs may have fractured close to the ends, thereby decreasing the ride height. Alternatively, the vehicle may have been used to regularly carry heavy roads before your ownership, and have indeed compressed with some years of ladened use - but again all conjecture. 

That’s a good point. I hadn’t considered this. I want to look after the car as best I can being it’s the first decent car I’ve ever had. 

The springs had indeed cracked and so were an MOT failure. 

Will call Audi for a definite measurement and take it from there. 

I had a advisory on the front springs as well so least now know what to look out for and questions to ask beforehand.

Hello Sam,

What was the Advisory notice wording about the front springs? 
If they have fractured near the ends then they will sit lower, and cause the rear to sit higher, so wording and investigation is important. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you Gareth yes the front springs are sitting lower which probably makes the rear look higher than usual. Advisories on MOT certificate says front springs corroded both near and offside so want to get these replaced as bad weather is setting in now and to give the vehicle a more balanced look.