Damp issue caused major problems?

Colette
聽Share

Hi guys.聽

My Audi q5 broke down on me a couple of weeks ago it's been taken to AUDI. We were towed into Audi. After alot of investigation they have told me it's due to a towbar being fitted incorrectly. It's caused damp and water to get into the call causing the car to now needing a new control unit, new wiring, new battery. Audi have quoted me 2500 to fix the problem 馃槶

Has anyone at all ever had any similar issues?聽

Thanks聽

4 hours ago, Steve Q said:

When was the towbar fitted? And by whom?聽

Definitely worth contacting the towbar fitting company.聽

Steve I have done this he is absolutely adament it's nothing to do with his fitting and been reading that alot of q5 have been recalled in the USA? I know that's the USA but聽

Just now, Colette said:

Steve I have done this he is absolutely adament it's nothing to do with his fitting and been reading that alot of q5 have been recalled in the USA? I know that's the USA but聽

Fitted end of June聽

So a non factory item. What have they said in the USA?聽

If there's a cure in the USA chances are there's a service bulletin to show the appropriate repair if you can get hold of it.聽

• 2 months later...

Did you find the issue for this one? were having the exact problem and Audi are saying its potentially the tow bar fitting and want 拢500 just to take a look before they say its covered by warranty or not

Thank you

Hi rich. Yes and unfortunately ours was due to the poor towbar fitting it cost 2400 to fix as the water damage had caused alot of damage. It was a gromit that was missing from the towbar being fitted. Sorry to be the bearer or bad news. We had to replace the whole controls unit, car battery and alot of wiring. Tbf though Audi Liverpool were excellent.聽

Thanks for replying, appreciate it

Ah that's a nightmare! thankfully we've caught it early as the boot stopped working due to corrosion on the wiring but that's fixable聽

i'll have to remove the bumper and see if anything is missing聽

longshot but I don't suppose you know where the Gromit was or the part number do you?

Thank you

Gromit was on the left you need to remove the side of the car inside this little rubber black thing is what was missing from our car and also the back vent wad broken due to being wired poorly. Here is an image if this helps聽

20221107_120316.jpg

20221107_120313.jpg

20221107_115558.jpg

Ah, thank you

we have a little bit of water showing on the little vent at the bottom but the bulk of water seems to be coming from the metal part the hole where your hand is actually.

and our tow bar wire comes straight from the middle of the car, pretty sure Audi are just trying to get out of warranty work if I'm honest聽

Thanks for your help, much appreciated