S-line suspension

Ca11um43

Is there a difference between the s-line and standard shock absorbers? I want to fit Eibach Sportline springs in the near future, which I've been told will roughly lower the s-line by 25mm on the front and 15mm on the back, since they're already lower than the standard A3 from factory. But my shocks look very old (they are probably the original ones by the looks of them), so I might as well replace them at the same time. As well as top mounts. But which ones do I need?

I've been told that Bilstein and KYB are good brands to look at for suspension, but all the one's I've found specifically say that they're not for an s-line, or not for vehicles with sport suspension (which I assume the s-line has). But is there really a difference? If there is, what shocks and top mounts would you recommend? The car is a 2009 Audi A3 (2.0 TDI) s-line. 

Edited by Ca11um43

Hello Callum,

It sounds as if you would indeed be wise to renew the shock absorbers and associated bits. 
What I’m unclear about is whether your car was built to an S Line specification or not.

If it was, then I would have thought it should be possible to obtain aftermarket S Line shock absorbers, if you are asking in the right places. If it wasn’t built as an S Line, then you might well be in difficulties, since all aftermarket parts will point you to what it was built with. 
Bilstein and KYB? I used KYB over the last couple of decades and found them generally OK, but would I buy them in preference to Bilstein ?? Probably not. 
Two roads forward:- 

Try Car Parts in Motion ( I’ve used them to good effect). 
Contact Bilstein Technical and KYB Technical and talk it through with them and hopefully get the part numbers you will require. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

34 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Callum,

It sounds as if you would indeed be wise to renew the shock absorbers and associated bits. 
What I’m unclear about is whether your car was built to an S Line specification or not.

If it was, then I would have thought it should be possible to obtain aftermarket S Line shock absorbers, if you are asking in the right places. If it wasn’t built as an S Line, then you might well be in difficulties, since all aftermarket parts will point you to what it was built with. 
Bilstein and KYB? I used KYB over the last couple of decades and found them generally OK, but would I buy them in preference to Bilstein ?? Probably not. 
Two roads forward:- 

Try Car Parts in Motion ( I’ve used them to good effect). 
Contact Bilstein Technical and KYB Technical and talk it through with them and hopefully get the part numbers you will require. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

The car is built to s-line spec from factory. However when using the eBay search (with my vehicle details), google, etc etc it kept coming up with plenty of shocks which fit a 2009 Audi A3, but only the standard model and not an s-line...I think I've got a few leads, and found a few links now though, from old forums. Just took me a while to find them. 

Edited by Ca11um43

OK, the situation is now clearer.
On-line links for aftermarket parts are notoriously unreliable, so repeating my earlier advice - simply contact (first off) Bilstein and KYB technical help lines and follow their help with the part numbers you will need to look for - assuming S Line ones are available - but at least you will know straight from the horse’s mouth. 
Does all of this make you think twice about lowering this car? - and from my side, why?

Kind regards,

Gareth.