2011 3.0T Whining on Engine Start Cold

RiftCygnus

Hi everybody. So i noticed this over time, but my engine has had a whining noise that typically happens when the car first starts up, but usually goes away after a second or two. I didn't think much of it during the summer because it was so short and it was wamer, but now it's getting cold up here in the Northeast and it's starting to happen more often/last longer. Especially with this experience i'm going to share.

So a couple days ago, said whining happened and didn't go away even after letting the car sit for a few minutes. It kept going while driving and only became mostly unnoticeable after about 5 minutes of driving. The whining matched the engine RPMs, so i wouldn't think it was with the secondary air pump.
And from what i remember, it didn't get louder or worse when turning the wheel. So i don't think it has to do with the power steering pump. Although it's still a possibility and haven't fully ruled it out.

Those were the only possibilities i could find from a quick search of the symptoms, so i'm not sure what else it could be besides the supercharger whine. Which i'm not sure what to do about or how to confirm it.

Has anybody experienced this before or know if there's a common issue like this with a specific part of the car? I'm worried it's something with the engine or the supercharger and that they're going on me.

1 hour ago, Steve Q said:

Could be the turbo?

It would be the supercharger, but yeah. It's a possibility. The only way i could think to confirm is pop the hood before starting the car and go listen to it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So i was finally able to get a good audio recording of noise I was talking about. It's more of a rattle I guess than a whining.
Though I don't know if it's an initial, unoiled timing chain rattle before it gets tensioned right, or something else.
You can hear it when the engine first turns over, then it gradually fades away. One really cold day, like i said above, continued for about a good 3 to 5 minutes of driving.

Anybody have an idea what this is?
https://vocaroo.com/1hsDsedLiIw5

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

If it's a rattle and car has timing chain then this could definitely be the cause. I'm.dyre certain Audi's suggested from tensioner or chain failures. 

Sorry, can you say that again? I can't understand the last sentence.