3.0T Engines, Oil Dilution, HPFP & Rod Bearing Failures

RiftCygnus

Hey all. So i recently watched this video here about a seized 3.0T Audi engine due to seized rod bearings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rABgqmZkv6Y&ab_channel=HumbleMechanic
He specifically said that the engine had oversized pulleys and a tune on it, which he thinks may have contributed to the rod bearings seizing.
He, however, doesn't give any other specific reason for the bearings seizing besides the mods and some discoloration on the rods indicating excessive heat. So he speculates it may have been low on oil as well, and all the oil galleys in the crankshaft are clear.

I read through the comments and someone posted something very convincing about most cases like this being due to oil dilution from a failing HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump)
There's lots of confirmation in these comments about the pump failure, and also it being low on oil. I also found some sites mentioning driving short distances a lot and lots of cold starts in colder climates

I'm considering doing the same as these engines and applying a tune, which includes an auxiliary intercooler and throttle body hose (and a power steering cooler for some reason). But no oversized pulleys yet.
I'm just worried that if i do the mods, the same thing will happen to my engine.

To me, it sounds like the way to cover all the bases is make sure the oil is checked and changed regularly, replace the fuel pump, and avoid short distance driving and lots of cold starts.

Can anyone that's really familiar with this issue chime in if this information is correct? I'd rather do all the preventative maintenance at once than replace the engine.

I can't give specific advice on this engine but I like to do preventative maintenance on mine too. Definitely make sure the car is regularly serviced, mine is over serviced if anything. 

You could change the pump for peace of mind. Or speak to tuners such as darkside developments, Revo or Celtic tuning to see if they can advise on an upgraded/heavy duty fuel pump. 

You might find your pump or similar variants are fitted to other vehicles. 

• Like 1