Tyre wear v milage

mManus Patten

In the process of buying a 2021 audi A6 TDI. Recorded milage is 4700. Front tyre depth 5mm. Rear 6mm. The depth of  new Contintal tyre is between 8 and 9mm. Do you good people that such wear is possible on the above milage

I can't speak for Audi, but I had continental tyres on my ford Kuga daily and have to say I was shocked on how fast they did wear out. Got 15k miles out of them in the end. They must be a soft compound. Needless to say I personally won't use continental for this reason. 

My A6 used Bridgestone tyres. But cant comment on wear as it's only doing 6k miles a year. 

Hello Manus,

Are you saying the car is currently fitted with Continental tyres - or not? 
This 2 year old car has covered an average annual mileage of only 2,300 miles - ridiculously low, and highly likely to be via. short ‘shopping’ type tips where tyres seldom get up to temperature and journeys usually include regular changes in direction, which accelerates tyre wear. Probably the same tyres fitted on a vehicle driven on the motorway would cover twice the mileage. 
In effect, your comments don’t surprise. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Not all Continental tyres have 8-9mm new.

I had a new pair of Sportcontact 5’s fitted a few years back and noticed a distinct lack of tread depth. Continental UK confirmed they only came with 6.8mm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 9:19 AM, Magnet said:

Where has Manus gone? 

Sorry guys for delay in replying. The car is fitted with 255 40 20 continental sports contact. If the initial depth is just 6.8mm then it would add up ok. Thanks for your response

On 3/13/2023 at 6:43 AM, Steve Q said:

I can't speak for Audi, but I had continental tyres on my ford Kuga daily and have to say I was shocked on how fast they did wear out. Got 15k miles out of them in the end. They must be a soft compound. Needless to say I personally won't use continental for this reason. 

My A6 used Bridgestone tyres. But cant comment on wear as it's only doing 6k miles a year. 

Did you not say a short while ago that you were leaving Audi for good? Did you have a change of heart? Genuine question.

On 3/27/2023 at 9:53 PM, audi999 said:

Did you not say a short while ago that you were leaving Audi for good? Did you have a change of heart? Genuine question.

Is this directed at me? 

Leaving Audi? I'm not going anywhere, my A6 is sentimental and have had it from new (21 years). But it's not used daily now. Which is what my ford Kuga is for.