Audi RS5 and Pirelli Tyres

Wolfman055

Hi All

newbie here.
I have owned Audi's since 2006 start off with an A4, lot of A5s 3 S5's and i have just got an Audi RS5.
As a car its brilliant but sadly in two months i have hit one big pothole that destroyed the front drivers tyre - then in Bham city centre went over a "gully" coming out of a tunnel no more that 30mph and same again - tyre pressure warning - this time its the front passenger tyre.
They are the 20 inch alloys - is this bad luck on my part or quite a common occurrence owning an RS5 - its bonkers for UK roads.
I always thought pirellis were too soft - so what would people recommend me please - Continental Dunlop etc ?

Had 20 inch allows on my A5 3 litre tdi and never had any real issues ?

At over £300 a pop its killing me after just shelling out £47k for the car 

Hello Gary,

Would I be right in thinking the tyres are fairly low profile. If so, the problem could be inherent to the amount of shock-absorbing rubber between pot hole and road, rather than tyre ‘softness/hardness’. 
Are the current tyres XL, or even run-flat? If so, then obviously their ability to absorb shock should already be enhanced. If not, is it worth investigating the pros and cons of XL? 

Alternative makes? You mention Dunlop. Um! Was this the brand  that was/still is? giving horrendous sidewall splitting issues on low profile tyres? I could be wrong, but worth doing a forum search. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Both

so they are pirelli p zeros 275 / 30 zr20 97y- they dont have XL anywhere on them ?

They were on the vehicle when i purchased it from Audi Eastbourne and they are the standard RS 20 inch wheels - 

20" x 9.0J '5-arm-trapezoid' design forged alloy wheels in Anthracite black, diamond cut finish with 275/30 R20 tyres

Thanks Gary,

Stating the obvious, 30 profile ( albeit on wide tyres) doesn’t give you much rubber twixt road and wheel. 
Considering XL maybe an alternative consideration, but they are likely to increase still further, the characteristically harsh ride associated with this model. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.