Timing belt

Fergie85

Hello James, 

Thanks for joining. 
Are you sure your engine has a belt rather than a chain? 
If a belt, then it should now be due for its second belt change, based on a recommended 5 year or 75K mile cycle - whichever comes first. 
If you are asking what make belt to fit, then Gates are an OEM supplier. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I have no paperwork for mine but it's a ina belt with date 22102020 which when it was manufactured would had it done around 115k - 120k currently 138k could have been installed later depending on shelf time ... but al go with manufacturers date to be safe on miles 

Emailed ina and the helped me get date off the belt 22/10/2020

20230405_151822.jpg

On 4/23/2023 at 9:48 PM, Magnet said:

Hello James, 

Thanks for joining. 
Are you sure your engine has a belt rather than a chain? 
If a belt, then it should now be due for its second belt change, based on a recommended 5 year or 75K mile cycle - whichever comes first. 
If you are asking what make belt to fit, then Gates are an OEM supplier. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Magnet 

yes it’s definitely a belt I had the cover off it and belt didn’t look the best so have bought a gates kit and gettting it changed 

9 minutes ago, a6blacked007 said:

I have no paperwork for mine but it's a ina belt with date 22102020 which when it was manufactured would had it done around 115k - 120k currently 138k could have been installed later depending on shelf time ... but al go with manufacturers date to be safe on miles 

Emailed ina and the helped me get date off the belt 22/10/2020

20230405_151822.jpg

Hi the INA belt is whats fitted from factory and is what Audi/TPS would supply as original equipment, there are those who believe that parts are manufactured to Audi specification which is a compete myth when you as I did take the kit out of the pretty Audi box [expensive] its got INA stamped on everything, mine is due again soon so I am going for Gates/Dayco much cheaper and from experience better kits.

Steve. 

• Like 1

Or take the belts out of the Audi box Steve, and find they have the appropriate Gates marks on them Steve. 
Interesting re INA being actual belt manufacturers. My experience grew from them being bearing manufacturers - as with tensioners and idlers ( with cambelt kits), and I just wonder if they rebrand belts made by others. 
Also interested to hear that Dayco are better then …… Recently had a bad experience of a Dayco kit - with water pump - having a very noisy water pump after 10k miles on a humble KA. Bad luck I guess. 
Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Magnet said:

Or take the belts out of the Audi box Steve, and find they have the appropriate Gates marks on them Steve. 
Interesting re INA being actual belt manufacturers. My experience grew from them being bearing manufacturers - as with tensioners and idlers ( with cambelt kits), and I just wonder if they rebrand belts made by others. 
Also interested to hear that Dayco are better then …… Recently had a bad experience of a Dayco kit - with water pump - having a very noisy water pump after 10k miles on a humble KA. Bad luck I guess. 
Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

My daughters Q3 is running a Dayco kit and 20k and nearly three years later no problems, the only Gates logos to be seen out of dealer supplied boxes are Ford ,GM, Chrysler as Gates are an American company and their Gator Grip range is used by the military, I have seen multiple failures of INA equipment mostly because the bolts supplied tend to stretch and allow movement of components, the garage I use won't entertain INA anymore which is why I was alarmed at the logos everywhere on the belt kit I bought from TPS, I remember someone telling me once INA are owned by VAG which would explain their love of the brand.

Steve.

22 hours ago, Magnet said:

Thanks Steve, 

Gates belt in the Audi belt box within the main dealer cambelt kit supplied for our A3 - about 2 years ago. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi in view of the age of your vehicle its most likely INA don't produce the belt for your car, therefore you bought your first bit of aftermarket in a badge engineered box which is what I have been driving at, they will put anything in a box with Audi on it and sell it at a much higher price, so as I said they don't design kits at Audis say so and you could have probably got the same kit for less on line.

Steve.