Replacement trim and scuff plates.....

Hello! Im new to this site so if Im posting in the wrong place, please let me know and point me in the right direction.

I have an Audi A3 1.6 S-Line (2011) Cab.  Ive had it from new and always looked after it. Unfortunately it had the roof cleaned recently (not by me) but the product used has badly marked the silver trim at the bottom of the hood. And im not sure how, but the foot scuff plates (i have no idea what their technical name is) at the bottom of the doors have also been affected and are also badly marked (or should I say etched). Ive tried to clean both but no amount of polishing has helped.  So im now thinking the only way to make the car look lovely again is to replace these parts. The question is, do I need to remove the scuff plates to find out the part number? And if I do, are they a massive pain in the butt to remove?  

Thankyou ☺️

Hello Daisy,

I’m really sorry to hear of your issue, and I think you have come to the only really practical conclusion - the affected parts need to be replaced.

If I’m understanding it correctly, all affected parts are brightwork    , such as ‘polished’ aluminium. If so, is probably anodised and any attempt to polish out the etched area will removed the anodised finish.

When you say’…..not by me….’ it wouldn’t have been by someone with a jet wash lance by any chance-? If so, it’s likely that the added chemical could have been some powerful cleaning agent that could well etch most things when blasted under pressure. However, how step plates? That’s worrying . It’s best not to worry about what it has done to the roof. 
It does indeed sound like the affected parts will have to be replaced. Any chance of compensation from the business who caused the damage? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

4 hours ago, Daisy said:

Hello! Im new to this site so if Im posting in the wrong place, please let me know and point me in the right direction.

I have an Audi A3 1.6 S-Line (2011) Cab.  Ive had it from new and always looked after it. Unfortunately it had the roof cleaned recently (not by me) but the product used has badly marked the silver trim at the bottom of the hood. And im not sure how, but the foot scuff plates (i have no idea what their technical name is) at the bottom of the doors have also been affected and are also badly marked (or should I say etched). Ive tried to clean both but no amount of polishing has helped.  So im now thinking the only way to make the car look lovely again is to replace these parts. The question is, do I need to remove the scuff plates to find out the part number? And if I do, are they a massive pain in the butt to remove?  

Thankyou ☺️

Hi the roof is the expensive bit unless you get it re dyed, the scuff plates are easy as they are stuck on with double sided tape you can buy aftermarket plates on the internet for not to much money the trims for the hood are also available.

Steve.

Hi Gareth, thanks for the reply. No chance of compensation as it was done as a favour. I shall endeavour to find the replacement parts and see if I can get them fitted. Id have a go myself but i think id end up with more damage and an even bigger bill!! 😆Thanks again 🙂

2 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi the roof is the expensive bit unless you get it re dyed, the scuff plates are easy as they are stuck on with double sided tape you can buy aftermarket plates on the internet for not to much money the trims for the hood are also available.

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for advice. I didn't realise the scuff plates were an easy fix, I shall have a look at getting the bits to replace them. 🙂

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Hi Steve, thanks for advice. I didn't realise the scuff plates were an easy fix, I shall have a look at getting the bits to replace them. 🙂

Hi yeah most of the trim bits are stuck on, I am just about to replace the door card trim/inserts on my daughters Q3 the drivers side has fallen out and the others are on their way, Audi want £100+ for each trim in metal so we are having some nice carbon fibre effect trims all four for £30 and the same as the audi ones they stick on with 3M double sided tape.

Steve.

7 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi yeah most of the trim bits are stuck on, I am just about to replace the door card trim/inserts on my daughters Q3 the drivers side has fallen out and the others are on their way, Audi want £100+ for each trim in metal so we are having some nice carbon fibre effect trims all four for £30 and the same as the audi ones they stick on with 3M double sided tape.

Steve.

Just having a look online, I didn't realise there were so many bits available. My little car is in good condition for its year so I'm gutted I'm having to replace the damaged bits but it's not the end of the world. Thanks again, hopefully it'll end up looking like it did before 🙂

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Just having a look online, I didn't realise there were so many bits available. My little car is in good condition for its year so I'm gutted I'm having to replace the damaged bits but it's not the end of the world. Thanks again, hopefully it'll end up looking like it did before 🙂

Hi it will, where there's a will there's a way.

Steve.

Hello Daisy,

For all stuck-down trim sections, the use of a hair dryer often aids they removal. Utmost care and the correct non-metal tools are the only safe way forward - screwdrivers need to be barred from anything to do with this, or your trim removal is likely to end up with paint rectification. 
I wouldn’t be untrusting this to anyone supposedly doing favours! 
I appreciate you are not going to DIY this, but I would be asking some questions - based on the above - of anyone you intend to entrust this to. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

5 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Daisy,

For all stuck-down trim sections, the use of a hair dryer often aids they removal. Utmost care and the correct non-metal tools are the only safe way forward - screwdrivers need to be barred from anything to do with this, or your trim removal is likely to end up with paint rectification. 
I wouldn’t be untrusting this to anyone supposedly doing favours! 
I appreciate you are not going to DIY this, but I would be asking some questions - based on the above - of anyone you intend to entrust this to. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

Apologies for late reply, thanks for the advice. This mornings project was to mend the wing mirror, so we've been outside for a good few hours (my little car is having a complete overhaul) 🤣

No screw drivers were used, only the proper removal tools. 

And I've been in contact with a company who will look at doing the other bits because I definitely don't want to make anything worse! 

Thanks again 🙂