Lights

Dale 01

20230630_112503.thumb.jpg.9f5afe6f1287c1bd04b0f162ae52e656.jpg20230630_112423.thumb.jpg.b1c0654c45904507da2766c2587f9b8c.jpg20230630_112450.thumb.jpg.578691578028e8fb0bdd3a96cc7de0c3.jpgHi all I'm new to this forum, my name is Dale and I recently purchased an A3 Sline 2009, the problem i have is that when I put my lights on,  even in DRL mode, my brake lights are on, albeit when I put my foot on the brake,  the break lights do glow even brighter and the same with my rear fog lights although they are all single pole bulbs 😫🤔, my front headlights are on in DRL mode also, the person i brought it from had modules fitted so that when you put the indicator on or turned the steering wheel that particular side fog lamp would light up,  I removed the modules and now i have no front fog lamps at all, although when the modules were fitted i still had no front fog lamps when i switched them on,  ive taken the rear lights out and can see no alterations to the wiring whatsoever,  its becoming a real head scratcher,  can anyone help

Many thanks in advance 

Dale 

8 hours ago, Dale 01 said:

20230630_112503.thumb.jpg.9f5afe6f1287c1bd04b0f162ae52e656.jpg20230630_112423.thumb.jpg.b1c0654c45904507da2766c2587f9b8c.jpg20230630_112450.thumb.jpg.578691578028e8fb0bdd3a96cc7de0c3.jpgHi all I'm new to this forum, my name is Dale and I recently purchased an A3 Sline 2009, the problem i have is that when I put my lights on,  even in DRL mode, my brake lights are on, albeit when I put my foot on the brake,  the break lights do glow even brighter and the same with my rear fog lights although they are all single pole bulbs 😫🤔, my front headlights are on in DRL mode also, the person i brought it from had modules fitted so that when you put the indicator on or turned the steering wheel that particular side fog lamp would light up,  I removed the modules and now i have no front fog lamps at all, although when the modules were fitted i still had no front fog lamps when i switched them on,  ive taken the rear lights out and can see no alterations to the wiring whatsoever,  its becoming a real head scratcher,  can anyone help

Many thanks in advance 

Dale 

Hi have you tried checking that the foglight bulbs work as on a car that age the units are possibly corroded which would cause problems via bad earth with the other lights.

Steve.

Hi Steve 

I checked the fog light bulbs and all seem to be working as normal,  just cannot get my head around it

When then modules were on the front fogs they were working when i turned the steering wheel or indicated so i know the bulbs work there but when i took the modules off i get no front fogs at all 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Dale 01 said:

Hi Steve 

I checked the fog light bulbs and all seem to be working as normal,  just cannot get my head around it

When then modules were on the front fogs they were working when i turned the steering wheel or indicated so i know the bulbs work there but when i took the modules off i get no front fogs at all 🤷‍♂️

Hi someone has changed the wiring to bypass the standard foglight circuit so somewhere further up the wiring the live is obtained from a pulse signal from the indicator/steering angle module this has effectively turned the fogs into cornering lights, the modules you describe are possibly can bus links, I also think its worth checking the DRLs as a lot of this stuff uses a can bus link from them to power that type of stuff, its a real problem when an unknown has wired in a load of Chinese junk on the cheap, you can tell that by the use of scotch lock to join the wiring anyone who is even halfway proficient with wiring will tell you those things expose the unsheathed wire to the elements which then causes corrosion which creeps under the sheathing and causes conductivity issues, a genuine good job would be soldered and then shrink tubed after the same as the joints either side of the module, unless you are cute with reading wiring diagrams I fear you may need an auto electrician to sort this one.

Steve.

Hello Dale,

The wiring on this has certainly been played around with, and Steve is probably right that non standard connections may eventually lead you to the source. 
Probably a bit basic, but it could be worth eliminating the wiring in the flexible harness section twixt body and boot - can be the source of fractured wires. Unlikely, but worth a coat of looking at and eliminating. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 7:48 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi someone has changed the wiring to bypass the standard foglight circuit so somewhere further up the wiring the live is obtained from a pulse signal from the indicator/steering angle module this has effectively turned the fogs into cornering lights, the modules you describe are possibly can bus links, I also think its worth checking the DRLs as a lot of this stuff uses a can bus link from them to power that type of stuff, its a real problem when an unknown has wired in a load of Chinese junk on the cheap, you can tell that by the use of scotch lock to join the wiring anyone who is even halfway proficient with wiring will tell you those things expose the unsheathed wire to the elements which then causes corrosion which creeps under the sheathing and causes conductivity issues, a genuine good job would be soldered and then shrink tubed after the same as the joints either side of the module, unless you are cute with reading wiring diagrams I fear you may need an auto electrician to sort this one.

Steve.

Thankyou Steve,  I believe you are very correct,  as I say , I removed those modules and the front fogs still are active as cornering lights which leads me to wonder what the hell were those things actually doing, also still have no joy resolving the rear lights but i won't give up, thanks again 

Dale

On 7/2/2023 at 8:14 PM, Magnet said:

Hello Dale,

The wiring on this has certainly been played around with, and Steve is probably right that non standard connections may eventually lead you to the source. 
Probably a bit basic, but it could be worth eliminating the wiring in the flexible harness section twixt body and boot - can be the source of fractured wires. Unlikely, but worth a coat of looking at and eliminating. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth 

Thankyou and certainly will go through the wiring in the boo/tailgate 

Dale