No sound in my Audi TT Roadster? Water ingress.

Lisa B

I got in my car the other day and noticed there’s no sound coming from the speakers, the volume button and steering wheel dial don’t do anything it just shows a speaker symbol with a line through it. Checked it’s not muted & did an MMI reset. After some investigation and an odd damp smell… i noticed the carpet behind the passenger seat is soaking wet! I’m aware the amp is stupidly located under the passenger seat & suppose the water ingress has damaged it? Causing the no sound issue? I’ve only had the car 4 months, so obviously upset/annoyed. My partner and I have managed to partially unblock the drain, would a coat hanger or wire do the job? Or does it need compressed air? Also where does the water drain under the car? We’ve jacked it up to look but not sure. Need advice/help from someone who knows about these cars. Once we manage to unblock the drain & dry the carpet eventually I’m guessing the damage to the amp is already done? It’s not going to start working again? Dreading the cost to fix/replace it. Would something like this be covered under warranty? as like I said I’ve only actually had the car 4 months. Anyone had the same issue that can offer any advise? Much appreciated. 

IMG_0211.jpeg

Sorry to hear of this with your car.

The only thing I can say is that after watching YouTube videos, the drain tube seems to come out somewhere in the real wheel arch.

However, at just 4 months, I would not mess with it and go straight back to the dealer or wherever you got it from and plead your case.

The location of the Amp is a pretty silly place, especially when this seems to be an issue that's know with these cars. I would have thought the boot would have been a better place for the amp.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Consumer law states that a product has to work for a reasonable amount of time. If a product fails before 6 months it is deemed that the defect was there at the time of purchase and as such it's responsibility of the seller to prove otherwise. After 6 months it's the other way around. 

Definitely have a Google of consumer law for more details. 

It could be the rear window seal, boot seals. 

Here's a fellow member who had the same issue: 

I wish people would post back to the original thread and let everyone know what happened. IE what it turned out to be and how they fixed it and if the issue has gone away.

This would be super useful for ALL of us that own these cars where this seems to be a big issue.

I phoned the dealership, they said there’s nothing they can do & told me to phone the warranty company. I phoned them they said unfortunately water ingress isn’t covered on a used car. So basically I now have to cover the cost of repairs myself, which is going to be over a thousand pounds. If I knew beforehand TT’s had this problem I would have never bought one. Absolutely terrible design flaw if you ask me. I love Audi’s I’ve had two hatchbacks and never had any problems, however after this would not recommend a cabriolet to anyone. I was so excited to get a TT convertible always wanted one, just a shame this has happened and so soon after buying the car. 

• 8 months later...

Having the same problem. what is frustrating, I have been in automotive for years, owned 3 tt convertibles and this is the only one with water damage. the drain hole needs to be kept clear. it's location is a stupid idea. I used a tyre inflation kit. plug in and shove between the qtr and the plastic side trim. the best way to locate is when the roof is down. there is a rubber sits between roof and qtr panel. if you run some hot water into this rubber, you will see exactly where the water goes. hot water shoyld clear the blockage. as for the Amp. audi will charge as much as they can. I think Audi should have informed customers to maintain this area 

On 7/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, Lisa B said:

I phoned the dealership, they said there’s nothing they can do & told me to phone the warranty company. I phoned them they said unfortunately water ingress isn’t covered on a used car. So basically I now have to cover the cost of repairs myself, which is going to be over a thousand pounds. If I knew beforehand TT’s had this problem I would have never bought one. Absolutely terrible design flaw if you ask me. I love Audi’s I’ve had two hatchbacks and never had any problems, however after this would not recommend a cabriolet to anyone. I was so excited to get a TT convertible always wanted one, just a shame this has happened and so soon after buying the car.