turn off all electrics for hardwiring dashcam

Mrisir

Go to solution Solved by JMKC82,

Hi guys - silly question but does anyone have any idea on how to turn off all the electrics in the car? As soon as I sit in the car, all the electrics are on even before pressing the start/stop button.

Ideally everything would be off (I want to hard wire my dashcam into the fusebox). Somone suggested sitting in the car then pressing the lock button on the key but I dont want to set off any alarms as I would need to open the doors to get access to things.

Just incase anyone is looking to do the same found a excellent guide here - 

Hi,

I'm not sure if you need to turn off the power completely?  I didn't, and just plugged the hard wired fuse connector into the fuse box.  It is only 12Vdc.  Caveat, this is just me, and i take no responsibility for electrocuting yourself.

As a side note, i recommend a branded hard wire system.  I've tried a cheap hard wired system from eBay, and the electrical noise has affected the radio.  I'm currently using Nextbase hardwired system.

Second note, if memory serves, the majority of internal power switches off after a certain time you switch off the ignition or unlock the car (open the door or doors that you are going to access, as if you keep opening and closing the doors it will repower the internals of the car).

Thanks, Joe

1 hour ago, JMKC82 said:

Hi,

I'm not sure if you need to turn off the power completely?  I didn't, and just plugged the hard wired fuse connector into the fuse box.  It is only 12Vdc.  Caveat, this is just me, and i take no responsibility for electrocuting yourself.

As a side note, i recommend a branded hard wire system.  I've tried a cheap hard wired system from ebay, and the electrical noise has affected the radio.  I'm currently using Nextbase hardwired system.

Second note, if memory serves, the majority of internal power switches off after a certain time you switch off the ignition or unlock the car (open the door or doors that you are going to access, as if you keep opening and closing the doors it will repower the internals of the car).

Thanks, Joe

Hey mate, thanks for responding. The only reason I wanted to get the power off was to figure out which fuse powered off when the car was locked but if they all turn off after a short amount of time I’ll just go try my luck lol.

I’ve got the nextbase hardwire kit, where did you connect your earth to? In the video i linked the guy has this massive ring that goes over the bolt to earth but the nextbase kit doesnt come with that ring. Did you buy it separately? Thanks!

I have a ring lug/ferrule on mine, which i already had at home.  But to be honest you don't need it.  2 washers and wrap the earth wire around the bolt will do.  Of course a ring lug would be better.  It is important to get a good earth!!

Look in the manual for the fuse box details, or here.  https://fuse-box.info/audi

Easiest way to test (which is what i did), is locate the correct fuse SIZE you will be doubling up, and put a multi meter on it (minimum 14Vdc setting) and EARTH.  With ignition off, check the fuses that have 0V (as this is what i would recommend).    Switch on the ignition (you don't have to start the car) to see if you have 12V+, and then switch off ignition and the power should return to 0V.  Trial and error, but easy to do.

image.png.5e58f9406672b71fdee532f69b7eee08.png

Thanks, Joe

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JMKC82 said:

With ignition off, check the fuses that have 0V

This is why I was wondering how to turn the power on and off. When I hit stop, the virtual cockpit and the centre screen are still on - my thinking was that with these screens on the car would still be sending power to all so I would never get a reading of 0V. I’ll leave the car door closed for abit and try what you suggested and hopefully the electrics just turn off so I can take the reading 😬

complete noob question (sorry again!) - which ring lug would you recommend? & how do I connect it to the black earth cable supplied in the nextbase kit? I assume just it touching is enough? 
thanks

• Solution

just switch off ignition and test voltage immediately.  You don't have to wait.  You want (well i do), want the dash cam to switch on when you start the ignition, and switch off when you switch off the ignition.

"which ring lug would you recommend? & how do I connect it to the black earth cable supplied in the nextbase kit?"

The ring lug to use should suit the EARTH screw/bolt size, so i can't recommend this.  They are just standard ring lugs in all sorts of sizes.image.png.5557708c5b024ecbdb907a0881723a74.png

You CRIMP the black earth wire where i have arrowed above.

Joe

• Like 1

Thanks so much Joe! I’ll attempt this in a couple weeks time once I get back. But between your advice and the video i think i know all I need now. 
Might come back with some more questions 👀(hopefully not 😂)