Rear Wheels OFF Centre HELP PLESE

Gogo

Hi, i have a Audi A6 S-line 2010 2.7 with stock air suspension. I have noted that my rear wheels are not at center, it is like they are more at the back. My mechanic says that it is normal and he cant find any problem. Now i need your help because i do not think that this is normal. On the picture you can see the problem, that the wheel is like pulled back, and that is the same problem on the other side. The car has never had an accidents .

20231012_172025.heic 20231012_172059.heic

Hello Goran,

How long have you had the car, and was it like that when you bought it, or has it ‘looked like that’ since? 
My thoughts point me towards someone fitting the wrong forward control arms - the main horizontal lower ones which run from near the rear sill to the hub casting - i.e. they are too long. 
Please come back to us with more detail of the history of the problem Goran.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

6 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Goran,

How long have you had the car, and was it like that when you bought it, or has it ‘looked like that’ since? 
My thoughts point me towards someone fitting the wrong forward control arms - the main horizontal lower ones which run from near the rear sill to the hub casting - i.e. they are too long. 
Please come back to us with more detail of the history of the problem Goran.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth. Thank You for trying to help me. I bought this car in Germany 2019 and the car had 160 000 km on the clock. The car had no accident record and i have done the paint measurement at VW in Croatia. The paint was in all places the same and they have told me that the car was never repainted. The problem i see now i have noticed at the start but i wasnt sure if it is normal or it is a some kind of problem. The tyres are  worn evenly on both sides, and i have never done any alignment on the back, or changed anything on the back. So for me this is how it came. I dont hear any knocking noise and the ride is smooth.

Edited by Gogo

Hello Goran, 

It’s a pleasure to try to be of a little help - if I can, without being able to look at anything. 
Can I just make sure that you are saying the rear wheel positions are like they were when you bought it 4 years ago, so really nothing has changed, but you are now aware of it and it now causes you concern. Would all of that add up to the situation as it is now? 
Since both wheels are similarly too far back, I would discount the view that the car had been previously accident damaged. 
My belief is as I said - I think someone has fitted the wrong main forward rear links - they are too long - although probably of the right design. 
I’m not sure whether you can obtain after market parts in Montenegro, but if you can, then it would be worth checking the dimensions of the confirmed correct parts for your model. Failing that, you would obviously need to seek advice at an Audi dealer. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. we assume there isn’t any excessive play anywhere - you say you can’t hear any noises to indicate that. 
Again, I am assuming that what looks wrong - is wrong, but perhaps someone who has the same model and year, could confirm that - or otherwise. 

Hello Gareth.

To answer you question, yes, the car was like it is now since i bought it. The difference is only that now it started to bother me because i wanted to lower it for the better look because i have adaptive air suspension and with vcds i can do that. I work alone on the car but i had no major problems with it. Only regular oil and filter change and that is it. Next are rear disks and pads together with new brake fluid. I will try to see what you mean with "main forward rear links" because english is my second language and i dont know what is the part that you are pointing. After that i will try to find the dimension of original part and the part fitted, maybe the fitted part has a part number and i can see if they match with the part that should be there.  It will take few days but i will post as soon as i have new informations.

Thank You.

Or if you can point here what the part is that you are saying. I know that this is form a quattro but maybe the part is the same on both versions.

Thank you.

image.jpeg

Many thanks Goran, 

Apologies again for believing your set up was as it is. In effect, the only ways your wheels can be as far back as they are , are:- 

(1) By design -so we need comments  from other members with the same vehicle. 
(2) If yours is different, then explanations would be serious accident damage - which I think we can discount. 
(3) Significant wear/movement in suspension components - which you would need to discount. 
(4) Wrong subframe fitted as a replacement at some point. 
I can’t see that any issues with the air suspension to account for this. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. I must congratulate you on your English - well done Goran. 

Thank You Gareth.

I think number 2 is not the case here, only if the whole car is perfectly painted after the crash, but still i have not found any record that it was involved in a crash. 

Number 3 is the one i need to check again even i cant hear anything wrong.

Number 2 and 4 could be the case here, but i will try to find the part number on the frame and see if it match to the one that should be installed on the car. If the numbers match then i believe that it is left only to think that it is like that by design.

One thing that also came to my mind is that maybe the whole frame could be shifted back, if that is possible at some point. Looking at the pictures of the frame i dont think that it can be shifted back and forward but maybe someone here knows more.

Thank You for the compliment, i made a mistake in the tittle but i try my best.

I will come back when i see if there is some wear on those bushings.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok, after some much time i finely checked the part number and they are all stock. So, only thing to believe is that it come out from the fabric like that and hope that the whole frame can be adjusted later when i have time.

Thank You for your help and time.