Resetting 'service due' notice.

Shiralco

I have tried all the ways given on google and YouTube to reset my service/inspection notice on my 2014 Q5, but none of them actually work.  I find it strange that Audi allow you to change the oil change required notice through the MMI but not the service/inspection notice.  Am I correct in saying that the only way to reset this is using a VagCom or OBDeleven device, or is there some other secret way? I have a Fixd OBD2 running both Fixd and Torque Lite software, but can't see how to do it using these.  Any advice would be most welcome.

hi david ,your right in that you can reset the oil service but youl need vcds to reset the service light,a standard obd wont do it either i think

Yes, that's what I thought.  Thanks for confirming this. I've only done 4000 miles since the last service and am reluctant to have another one just so that they can reset the display.  Need to find someone local to just reset the display for a nominal fee.

Hello David,

Yes, this will be an issue with DIY servicing, and indeed, the ‘Service due’ light may not apply in this case to the need for a full or partial service, but may for example come up at the 2 year anniversary of the date of registration when the brake fluid may need changing. 
When you say you have only covered 4K miles since the last service - how long ago was this, and what is your average annual mileage? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, last service was a year ago and covered just under 4000 miles since then.  We have another car and share the mileage so low usage really.  I know that the recommendation is at least one oil change a year, but modern synthetic oils are not cheap and I'm sure they are good for a couple of years at least.

Thanks David,

Of course, you are right in saying it should have an oil change (at least) once a year, and for some marques the in-brackets ‘at least’ ’ bit becomes very important, since low mileage use gives the engine more of a hammering that a similar engined vehicle covering high mileages when the engine is always running under optimum coolant and particularly, oil temperatures. 
So upshot is I would (as I do) change the oil and filter annually on our petrol engined car, and if a diesel - which I guess yours is - I would be considering a twice yearly oil change due to possible oil dilution, and I certainly wouldn’t extend that beyond an annual change. Audi recommends an annual service schedule for low annual mileage anyway. 
Oil is cheaper than accommodating engine wear! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, thanks for this. I don't think my psyche would ever allow me to change the oil twice a year, but take the point about doing it at least once a year. The dashboard count down says I've 22 days to go, so will probably get it done soon after Christmas.

Cheers.