A3 Sportback 2010 central locking

Pat Davey

Hi all. I'm new here, in hope of helping me understand some of the frustrating things my car does. It's by far the nicest car I've owned, it's fast, comfortable and well looked after BUT man its quirks send me round the bend sometimes. Really grateful for any advice anyone can give..

Most pressing issue is the failing central locking, I now have two doors which will not unlock with the key fob, they will - once opened manually from inside - however - lock with the fob, so it seems the mechanisms do work, at least in one direction. I've done a bit of digging around in the forum and it seems this is a common Audi of a certain age issue?.. there's mention of cleaning the motor armitures in those particular doors and I'm going to give that a go, is this something anyone here's done and did it work? did you need any specific tools? did you regret it and end up taking it to a garage and it costing a fortune? Is there anyting I should check before taking things apart? 

Many thanks

Pat

On 11/25/2023 at 6:03 PM, Steve Q said:

I'd recommend a diagnostic check to see if any fault codes flag up. Could be an issue with the driver's door module 

Thanks. Can the drivers door affect the others?

The problem doors are rear driver side and front passenger side. We got the RD door apart yesterday and the lock mechanism out. It seemed the actual latch was a bit caked with dirt and did work again once we messed with it a bit but I'm going to replace with an aftermarket £30 one from eBay anyway.

I then WD40'd the FPS latch (didnt take the door apart - just did from outside) and that now works intermittently. I'll probably just replace this one, depending on how the other one goes... if it doesnt work I'll see if I can get someone to run diagnostics.

Thanks again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the RD door mechanism and it has worked. Very satisfying! It was especially awkward in the cold weather, but with the right tools a doable DIY job. I'll do the FP door next.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:14 AM, Pat Davey said:

I replaced the RD door mechanism and it has worked. Very satisfying! It was especially awkward in the cold weather, but with the right tools a doable DIY job. I'll do the FP door next.

Glad you got sorted 🙂