Front sensors

mawaudi444

Advice needed.

This morning I hit a pigeon on the motorway.
This pigeon was stuck in the front grille.

I've cleaned it up but .  The front offside ultrasonic sensor is loose. I think it's unclipped behind the grill

Do these sensors need to be calibrated like the main radar? There is no warning lights on the dashboard 

Im trying to decide if the local body shop could deal with it or not? I fear the clips are broken 

It's an Audi A3 8y. 

Hello Mark,

Are you talking about one of the parking sensors? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. No offence meant, but ‘This pigeon was stuck in the front grille….I’ve cleaned it up a bit….! I know what you mean, but quite funny when first read. 

Hello Mark,

One parking sensor from  a main dealer will probably cost you north of £100, but worth checking. I bought a generic one off eBay for our 2006 for less than £15, and it even had the VAG part number cast into it! 
It will need to be colour coded with an aerosol, but that’s simple enough. 
Reading back you say it’s unclipped, and if so, have you tried pushing it back in. If it doesn’t clip back, then it suggests the clips on the sensor have broken, and it will need to be replaced. 
Since it won’t/ might not clip back in, can you pull it out enough to disconnect it? If so, its replacement should be simple, and I’d be surprised if it needs coding. 
Why not nip it around to an independent - now that you are armed with the information - and see what they quote you. Same with bodyshop if you feel you want to. 
Let us know how you get on Mark.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 4 weeks later...