Warranty issues

Phill Walker

Gents, Newby to the forums however had Audi’s for the last 30 years + Recently bought my most expensive car ever ( used Q7 4M ) from an Audi dealer as an approved car with 12 Months Audi Warranty + additional 2 years Dealer Warranty. On getting the car home I noticed that the Front ( park assist camer , whilst working the image was blurred. Close inspection revealed that moisture was collecting on the internal front face. Took it to the local Audi dealers to inspect and hopefully change under warranty. Car was inspected 2 weeks later, no physical damage found to the camera but internals misted up. Dealers sent off the warranty claim and recieved reply that fault U112200 was on the car prior to sale so no warranty. There is not an electronic fault with the camera ( only the internal moisture) so how would this can bus fault ( which appears to be on most models suspect programming issue) be used as an excuse to exclude warranty. Still waiting for dealer resolution (3 months now) . My fear is not the camera issue but if I had something major go wrong (suspension gearbox etc.) that they would walk away from it. Anybody else had similar issues or something to undertake to resolve this. Contemplating returning under the sale of goods act.

"Dealers sent off the warranty claim and recieved reply that fault U112200 was on the car prior to sale so no warranty."

Did they make you aware of this or any other faults at the time of sale? Were there any other faults that they know of that haven't been shared with you? The reply they gave you is indefensible - if you had known of the fault would you have still bought the car, or asked that it be fixed prior to delivery?

A polite letter or email to the General Manager pointing the above points out should get your problem solved.  If it doesn't then I'd agree with trying to reject it on the grounds that the warranty isn't fit for purpose (but don't threaten this in your initial letter.  Don't forget - it's a positive outcome you're after - not points scoring).

• Like 1

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have been dealing with the sales manager todate. However I will elevate this to the G.M. in the next few weeks ( still hoping for a direct resolution, including this misnomer re the can bus error.) i cannot see how this has  got to this situation, given that one item on the 142 point used car inspection states that the vehicle has been diagnostically  interrogated and all found clear!!!!

Hello Phill,

Welcome and thanks for joining.

Sorry to hear of your ongoing issue, and to me, I think there is just one simple question to ask, and be answered here:-

Did you buy this car from an Audi dealer, or Audi U.K./Audi’s warranty provider? 
The answer of course is an Audi dealer, so your contract is with them, and they have to repair the vehicle irrespective of whether they can reclaim their outlay or not. If they can’t - tough - unless they can prove that you ‘damaged’ it. 

Not being critical, but I think you’ve left this debate go on too long, and perhaps understandably dealt with a Sales Manager.

If this were mine, once any element of ‘we ain’t going to fix it’ came in, I would have been addressing the resolution directly to the dealer principal, and not a Sales Manager. 
A carefully worded assertive and time limited e-mail to the dealer principal would be my urgent way forward. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Phill.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...