My trusty '96 A3 swayed me; '58 A3, have a made a mistake?!

After a major change of circumstance a few years ago I needed a car and was truly blessed with a run-around that I thought would last no more than a year, 3 and half years and 28k miles later its still going strong. Only after a someone pulled out on me recently I had to emergency brake, and - as you would expect, it really didn't perform as well as more modern cars do. I had a little reality check, even though it does every thing I need it to, I'm driving an old car. I motorway every day and it shook me a little. No impact happened but it was the - 'what-if. . .' 

So I kept an eye out for a newer car. I wasn't specifically looking for another Audi, but I had an opportunity to purchase another A3, 2008 model, Manual this time, 2.0 . I am learning this is a 8P5 model. The previous being 8LZ I think.  

I decided to bite the bullet and buy it, but haven't got rid of my green spout just yet. Just in case the new one lets me down, at least I would have my trusty sprout.

I must say, the new one does shift, and I am remembering why I LOVE a manual car, however, I'm going to need to spend some money on it. 

I will do some research, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. 

I need a new clutch, horrific clutch squawk when pulling away. I can adjust how I pull away to prevent it, but that's not how you're meant to drive. . . 

Annoying light sounding knock from OSF when going over small defect's in roads (slightly recessed drain cover/worn tarmac), no feeling though body. When consistent poor condition of road, when you would expect ARB rattle type noise, I have silence. Its almost like the shock of the unexpected change in road surface causes the noise.

The EML has come on twice when cruising on the motorway, I understand this is fairly common - P2015. I have been told there are many repairs/upgrades/etc but have not yet been able to look into. 

I'm prepared to spend a bit of money on it as I actually quite like it.

What I hope you experienced people might advise me . . . Do you think it's worth it? or, should I cut my losses now?

A3 O.JPEG

A3 N.JPEG

Edited by sjaineb
additional info

Welcome to the forum you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 🙂 1996 looks lovely 🙂 glad you're pleased with your newer A3 👍

Hello Samantha, 

Welcome, and thanks for joining.

Steve’s opening comment that the 1996 looks lovely (and nothing said about your 58 plate) really echoes my reaction too. 
Apologies for saying it as I think it - and not meaning to be unfriendly, but the 1996 really does look interesting, and the 58 plate, looks like a 58 plate.

You tell us the 58 plate needs work, and the 1996 fell below expectations (only?) in terms of its braking ability. The thread heading asks the question …’ have I made a mistake..?’

My response from this point forward will no doubt not be what you want to hear, but here goes:-

With a dissatisfaction with the 96’s braking ability, I would have been investing in probably quality brake pads/ calipers perhaps, and whatever was necessary to restore its ability to what it once was. The outlay should be modest. 
If you are talking about having a new clutch fitted in the 58 ,you are unfortunately talking many hundreds of pounds. EML light on? Do you have your mind set on ‘upgrading’ this 58 car, or do you just want to have a reliable vehicle? Personally, the last thing I would be considering would be ‘upgrades’, and my priority would be to get the car into a reliable condition.

Wallet wise? 
I think your wallet would be much happier treating the 96, rather  than trying to fix the 58 - and that would be discounting the price already paid to buy the 58. 
Probably not what you want to hear Samantha, and I am sorry about the above, but…. 
All I can add is, if it were mine, I would be hanging on (in caps) to the 96, as an insurance - I would not let it out of my sight until you see how the 58 plate really behaves. 
Genuinely good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kind regards,

Gareth.