Cold weather affecting Q3 indicators

Bob Campbell

Welcome Bob,

Strange one that! 
When you say ‘when the car warms up…’.

Could you try a little experiment ( if not already tried). 
Start the car as normal, but do not attempt to operate the flashers.

Do not move the car, but leave it idle until the cabin temperature  reaches a sensible level - even though the outside temperature is still low. 
Once the cabin is reasonably warm, try the flashers, and report back. 
If they still don’t work, then road test the car and see if they start working at less distance covered, than they did when the car was moved from cold.  
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 2

Hi Gareth, thank you for your input, I will try this in the morning as they are working ok now. When I first noticed they were not working was in the last cold spell, I had covered about 2 miles and returned home with the indicator still not working, I left the car for a couple of hours and when I tried them they worked, of course the outside temperature had risen. I will report tomorrow.

Kind Regards 

Bob

• Like 2

Hi Gareth, I tried this morning....no indicators, I took it for a test, about 2 miles, still no go, I retuned home and nothing, it took about 10 minutes until they started working. Bearing in mind it was 2 degrees outside temp, it seems that driving the car first takes longer before they work.....roll on summer.                                                                                                 

Id recommend a diagnostic check to see if any fault codes flag up. Is there any water in the lights or entering the cabin which could be affecting the wiring? 

Hi Steve, It appears that no damp problems are apparent, it has not changed since last year when all was working ok.  The only change is that I have hard wired my dashcam from the fuse box below the steering column.

The next step will be a diagnostic check as you have advised.

Hello Bob,

In your Thursday post, you say you tried my test and they still didn’t work. 
Can I confirm that you you opened the car, didn’t (in caps)  attempt to try the indicators, you let the car tick over for about 15 mins until the interior temperature was up to normal, and only  then did you try the indicators-? 
You say the only change has been to hard wire in a dashcam, and it’s from that point that your issue has occurred. 
Suggestion:- disconnect the dashcam as a trial. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth, Yes I tested it on Thursday, but I forgot the details of your post, but they still didn't work until the car warmed up, but I will try the next time it gets cold.

With regards to the dashcam, I have gone over the connections to make sure they are good, it was the proper kit that I used, so until the next cold spell.....

Thanks.    Bob

Thanks Bob, but the objective here is to see if they work when the interior has warmed up - but without moving the car, and without trying the indicators before the interior has warmed up. 
Might be worth having the post to hand before you start the test. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

p.s. If my suggested procedure doesn’t give you the result you need, actually disconnect ( in caps) the hard wire you connected in, and test again.