Dip stick levels

TheBuell

Reading the handbook on checking oil level and I think it is a bit confusing. It says there are two places on the dip stick - 1 and 2. 2 is full (towards the top) and bottom is 1. Am I right in thinking that when it reaches 1 it only needs 0.5 litre of oil putting in?

What oil is recommended for a 1.4 TFSI CoD car? 5W-30W?

Thanks.

Edited by TheBuell
typo

Thanks for posting Alex. 
They always seem to suggest leaving the oil reach the min. level before topping up to the full mark. 
I now sure how long you have had the car, to be able to judge it’s oil consumption, but I would suggest checking it at least once a week until you know how much it is consuming (if significant) over say 1K miles. Once you know the consumption, you can tailor you checking to suit. 
Personally, I never have waited until the level drops to the minimum on any car I have owned, but top it back up to the full mark when it’s say halfway twixt full and low. 
Correct oil? The handbook will tell you, and I’d be surprised if it wasn’t 5w/30 grade - to the correct VAG specification. I always buy Quantum Longlife 3 ( VAG’s owned brand name) - once blended by Castrol, but now by Fuschs. 
Available from a number of eBay sellers, or now on Amazon as well.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Probably about a quarter of a litre Alex. 
Probably stating the obvious, but always check the oil on level ground after the car has stood for at least a couple of hours - ideally first thing in the morning before starting the car.
Simply add a small quantity - gauged by where the measured level is, in relation to full and min. levels. Wait 5 mins and recheck, and add another very small amount to bring to full level if necessary. 

How often to you check the level Alex, and what mileage are you covering before you find the level has dropped? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 month later...

Approx 1k miles, stil not dropped yet. Impressed.  My old BMW would be nagging me to add a litre at that point 😄

• Like 1