Whining coming from engine bay

I've got a noise coming from my engine somewhere, I went through a very deep puddle last week, and it was as high as my headlamps, I obviously didn't know it was so deep or I wouldn't have gone through, so now I'm left with dirty headlamps inside which I've sorted, and this noise coming from my 3.0 tdi engine, it sort of sounds like a supercharger, everything runs fine and I've checked for water in my engine and had a good look over it but I'm just left with this whine, it also sounds amplified from insidenthe car as well. Any ideas anyone? 

Hello Kristian,

I don’t want to unduly alarm you, but going through water up to your headlamps is serious territory, and you were in danger of drawing water into the air intake. 
Regrettably, I don’t think your guessing answer lies on the forum, and the best advice I can offer is to get this into a trusted local garage - without delay, and ideally not using it until it’s been looked at. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I've stripped the air filter and it's dry and had a little bit of dry leaves etc on it and the whole area is clean and clear so I'm convinced it didn't get into the air intake, I've done about 50 miles in it since and checked the oil as well for any sign of water and nothing, the only thing that is different is that whine sound, and although the water was deep it was only for a very short distance and for about 5 seconds, long enough to get !Removed! in my headlights obviously. 

Don’t worry about your headlamps Kristian, until you have had the car inspected by a trusted garage. 
I think you will understand it would only be possible for anyone on here to simply guess the cause, without examining the car. 
Personally, I wouldn’t be using it until it has been inspected. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1