A useless heap of junk due to lack of spare parts avalible

Francis_G

Every time I go out in my 80 something breaks and it has to be towed home, that something usually I am able to fix and then something else breaks. Pre pandemic this would not be a problem, post pandemic parts are expensive and have a lead time of about 10 working days.

Up until now I have managed to get replacement parts but this time I have a real problem. The Throttle Position sensor has given up to open circuit, the car is sluggish to drive, putting out about 60bhp, about half power and the idle is irratic, backed up by error code  00516.

The car has nice details and I do want to keep it. I believe it is the last Avant with the 16v 2.0 Ace engine on the UK roads.

I have seen some second hand parts, but with it being  a sealed unit, how do I know it is not going to instantly break on the next outing, as mine did, also I do not want to pay the cost of  a new one for the privilege.

part numbers that are on the case are:

• 0 280 120 426
  • vw 048 133 154

Does anyone know of a way to refurbish the unit?

Does anyone have circuit diagrams of this unit

Can anyone tell me the pinout data on the car?

Any help would be appreciated.

I feel that we are being punished by lack of parts supply, something to do with the WOKE establishment and the WEF objectives to get to Net zero, it is so unfair.

It is not the car it is the world situation.

Bump! I am upset.

36 minutes ago, Francis_G said:

Every time I go out in my 80 something breaks and it has to be towed home, that something usually I am able to fix and then something else breaks. Pre pandemic this would not be a problem, post pandemic parts are expensive and have a lead time of about 10 working days.

Up until now I have managed to get replacement parts but this time I have a real problem. The Throttle Position sensor has given up to open circuit, the car is sluggish to drive, putting out about 60bhp, about half power and the idle is irratic, backed up by error code  00516.

The car has nice details and I do want to keep it. I believe it is the last Avant with the 16v 2.0 Ace engine on the UK roads.

I have seen some second hand parts, but with it being  a sealed unit, how do I know it is not going to instantly break on the next outing, as mine did, also I do not want to pay the cost of  a new one for the privilege.

part numbers that are on the case are:

• 0 280 120 426
  • vw 048 133 154

Does anyone know of a way to refurbish the unit?

Does anyone have circuit diagrams of this unit

Can anyone tell me the pinout data on the car?

Any help would be appreciated.

I feel that we are being punished by lack of parts supply, something to do with the WOKE establishment and the WEF objectives to get to Net zero, it is so unfair.

It is not the car it is the world situation.

Bump! I am upset.

I feel your pain, as it's the same situation with Audi's from the 90s/noughties like my A6. 

I agree it's due to the wef agenda. Eu looking at banning garages from doing major repairs to old cars like engine changes/rebuilds etc so they can get them off the road. 

I need a replacement engine in my A6 and think I've finally found a way to get another one fitted. 

But long term the only way old cars will remain in the road is to use engines etc from cars with huge parts supplies like Chevy ls motors for example. 

I am annoyed that I have to adapt things to make them fit, both electrically and mechanically.

On the TPS that does not exist I have bought Bosch 0280122001 Throttle-Valve Switch, however to make it fit I have to fabricate a metal plate that rotates the new part about 20 degrees, then add standoffs to provide the correct vertical offset as it is not as deep into the bracket, perhaps do a jumper loom to switch wiring over, I have not checked that yet. I thought that I would do an exercise and buy a car, not Audi, more popular car based on a focus... a volvo from a cat scrap site but when I looked into it, 6 year old, guess what, same issue.... no parts. When the nasty stuff really starts to hit the fan, not many of us will have transport. Better off with something pre electronic era, mk2-1 golf with manual choke, they do not have many things that electrical items bring to us, but equally not there to go wrong, keep it simple. In the Audi 80 where is the sense of lean production engineering, when you have a support bracket between the gearbox and bottom of the engine, they have used 9 bolts and different socket heads on the bolts so you need 2 spanners to put the thing on along with a torx head. However it gets worse, as you cannot get a socket onto them when they are on the car, you actually need a deep offset ring spanner, a shallow one, an open one and a couple of different sizes of each, and to add insult to injury you need to drop the subframe to get 3 of the bolts out. People diss old landrovers but you can get a long way just with 1 spanner. I guess that inefficiency assembly gave the Japanese the chance they needed.

Hello Francis,

Welcome to the world of ‘Modern’ classic car ownership.
This hobby is one of ‘make do and mend’, and has always been so, and to my mind, things will become even more difficult in the future, to discourage retention of aged vehicles. 
I don’t  have any reason to support Audi’s spares stocking logic, but the car is 30 years old, and it would be unrealistic to expect them to manufacture and retain spares for your model - no more than you would expect to be able to buy parts for a 30 year old washing machine! 

I think what you are doing is what you need/ will have to do, and the only additional advice I can offer is to do searches for companies who are prepared to recondition pieces of electronics, so that failing parts can be repaired as needed. 
Good luck, but don’t give up. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

On 4/19/2024 at 10:06 PM, Francis_G said:

I am annoyed that I have to adapt things to make them fit, both electrically and mechanically.

On the TPS that does not exist I have bought Bosch 0280122001 Throttle-Valve Switch, however to make it fit I have to fabricate a metal plate that rotates the new part about 20 degrees, then add standoffs to provide the correct vertical offset as it is not as deep into the bracket, perhaps do a jumper loom to switch wiring over, I have not checked that yet. I thought that I would do an exercise and buy a car, not Audi, more popular car based on a focus... a volvo from a cat scrap site but when I looked into it, 6 year old, guess what, same issue.... no parts. When the nasty stuff really starts to hit the fan, not many of us will have transport. Better off with something pre electronic era, mk2-1 golf with manual choke, they do not have many things that electrical items bring to us, but equally not there to go wrong, keep it simple. In the Audi 80 where is the sense of lean production engineering, when you have a support bracket between the gearbox and bottom of the engine, they have used 9 bolts and different socket heads on the bolts so you need 2 spanners to put the thing on along with a torx head. However it gets worse, as you cannot get a socket onto them when they are on the car, you actually need a deep offset ring spanner, a shallow one, an open one and a couple of different sizes of each, and to add insult to injury you need to drop the subframe to get 3 of the bolts out. People diss old landrovers but you can get a long way just with 1 spanner. I guess that inefficiency assembly gave the Japanese the chance they needed.

I looked at this, a good mechanical engine that can run on veg oil etc is the land rover 200tdi. 

The problem with Audi's is that they're fwd longitudinal and finding similar modern drivetrains is hard to come by. As most fwd vehicles are transverse. 

The annoying thing with cars now is that they're deliberately over engineered so they can't be repaired by a home mechanic.  

It's not as tragic as you think, and this is said by someone who grew up on an Audi 80 :) As for the sensor, I've recently put over 160 Euros into it, but I'm satisfied. Lately some plastic components small literally, it's my colleague on the 3D printer embrace and they work. I've heard that they are slowly making ones in metal and steel too, you just need to have a good schematic, so old books and manuals come in handy.