2.5 V6 TDI

littbandus

Only two problems with the 2.5.  Fuel pumps if poor quality diesel is used and camshaft lobes on some of the earlier engines wore prematurely due to a case hardening issue.  The camshafts were modified on later engines but I can not remember the change over production date.  Generally its a good engine

Only two problems with the 2.5.  Fuel pumps if poor quality diesel is used and camshaft lobes on some of the earlier engines wore prematurely due to a case hardening issue.  The camshafts were modified on later engines but I can not remember the change over production date.  Generally its a good engine

Thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

i have just sighned up today seems like a great club/forum. I am on my third Audi,i've had an a4 avant 19tdi quattro which i loved,but was smashed by a logging wagon,which i brought with 160000 miles on clock, with no problems apart from fairly freequent bush changes,which i put down to living in the hills of herefordshire rather than the car,in the snow it was fantastic.

I then found a 1998 A6 2.5tdi v6 quattro with 197000 miles!!! had a couple of small problems initially,one was a leaking oil seal on the rocker cover/filler side,fortunatly the guy who i brought it from was very honest & had been given the new cover & gasket with the car so just needed fitting,fantastic car pulled like a train and fairly economical if you stayed of the turbo,which i found hard having all this new found power!!! unfortunatly met a freind on our tiny back lane in his scooby legacy import 4wd,OUCH,that was the end of that A6 as we met offside wing to wing,my offside front wheel collapsed.

I found on the same day a 2001 A6 2.5 v6 tdi quattro sport, again 197000 miles which i have had quite a few problems with,MY OWN FAULT as the guy i bought from seemed a bit dodgy,but the car drove well,engine wise.

the problems were wheel bearing, which i was aware when buying the car,unfortunatley on the 5 hour journey home realised the car was'nt showing any temprature water & oil but was pulling fine with no smoke or creamy residue in oil so pretty confident it was'nt head gasket. It turned out to be thermostat which was cheap as a part but expensive to replace as you have to dismantle the front end and remove the cam belt which i had replaced as according to the limited history it was changed at 160000m, worth doing i think, i have also had a nearside cv joint collapse, cheap part & fitting. The problem that still exist is this what seems to be a common one on the a4 & a6 is water ingress, as someone else has mentioned,which seems to be setting off the hazards only if i lock it & pulsating interiour lights wilst driving,but all of this aside i love the A6 quattro looking forward to some snow to really test it. I am still confident that the car is good for another few years & many miles to come.My boss has the new 63 plate 2.5 tdi allroad,which is nice but to much tech for me,i prefer old school low tech,feels like your driving not the computer,said enough now babling on. 

Forgot to say that one problem i had on my previous A6 quattro was a fuel gauge problem,running out while showing half a tank,tured out that the quattro's have a saddle bag tank under the rear seat straddling the prop,the problem was a sensor i think on one side of the tank,not expensive.