2003 Audi A4 2.0 Petrol FSI

G999CFR

Hi all, 

Firstly I am new to this forum and new to having my first Audi! 
However one with problems........ 

So I recently bought a 2003 (53 plate) Audi A4 FSI 2.0 Petrol. (Estate) 

It was running absolutely fine for 3-4 days then bam! One morning it wouldn't start at all.. 
My mate is a mechanic and checked the battery and alternator with a meter cheecker and says both are absolutely fine no problems.

Basically I have charged the battery 2 or 3 times now and everytime its fully charged when I go back to the car its flat as a pancake something somewhere is draining the battery I have no idea where to start what to look for ....? 

I have checked the fuses they are all fine... Any other help would be great  cheers..... 

Hi ... and welcome to the Forum

It sounds as though it could be a dead cell in the battery, you would need to carry out a heavy duty discharge test on the battery to determine this.

There are many other possibilities such as an interior light on, short circuit in the wiring, etc.

Would advise getting it checked by an auto electrician as it will soon irritate the hell out of you every morning to have to jump start it.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers  Trevor

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How long are you driving it for before switching off the engine? I have this problem with my A6, I think because I only do short journeys during the week. The AA told me it takes 20 minutes of driving to give the battery enough charge just to start the engine. My journey to work is 15 minutes, but even if I drive it for an hour or more at weekends and then park it up for the night, just keeping the immobiliser going drains it again. My jump starter is worth its weight in gold, but it is irritating not being able to start the car without it. All the electronics are nice to have but the battery is the size of a small suitcase and the car is craving a motorway run every day!

I considered changing to a 2.0, but if you're having the same problems that's not going to be the answer. If you have found the problem let me know.

• Like 1

As the weather is now getting a bit colder, especially in the early morning, batteries tend to show their true colours and if they are original fitment and the car is several years old then the first time it goes flat, suggests that it has seen better days and a new one is needed.

Before buying a new one it's worth considering an age old adage which goes 'you get what you pay for' and in the case of car batteries, this is most certainly the case.

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't agree more with what has already been said, but even if the car is used for short journeys, a serviceable battery should well accommodate that. The way to look at it is  :- would Audi have sold these cars as new, if on infrequent use/ short journeys, they were not going to start?

Basics and elimination it is:- simply get (the overnight charged) battery checked, by a reliable garage - preferably one not making volume sales on batteries. Avoid the large outlet type stores. If it proves to be unserviceable then replace it, but I would follow Trevor's advice on this and soend once and wisely. I would not buy any battery with less than a 3 year warranty and ideally (and generally no more expensive if you shop around) a 4 or 5 year warranty one. Premium brands such as Varta or Bosch would be my choice since I know, by shopping around, that I can get these for very little on cost. I have used Battery Warehouse ( I think that's the name) at Tewkesbury. Goid prices, mail order and service .No connection, and no doubt others have equally good recommendations.

If the battery is serviceable then as has been said, you have a parasitic drain on the battery, and would need an appropriate meter connected in line with the battery while each fuse is removed until you find the offending curcuit. Probably best left to a half an hour's time with an auto electrician.

Goid luck with it,

Kind regards, Gareth.

• Like 1

Wise words Gareth, and in particular the relevance of buying a premium battery for what is sometimes only a little more than a standard, lower quality battery.

I bought one yesterday (alas, it is now battery season...where all weak batteries die off) for a Peugeot 206, brand new Exide type 012 for £30.16 + VAT...can't get any cheaper and better than that. This was also from a Battery Wholesaler, at trade price...but always worth shopping around for best price but never at the expense of quality!