Problems after EA189 engine emissions update

NicolaM

Hello Steve,

Many thanks for coming back on this and for your action to get this particular thread to the top of the Audi Recall topic. 

What I actually meant, and probably didn't explain properly, was that I thought the whole vitally important topic of Audi Recalls deserved a position as near to the top- if not the top-  of the whole forum rather than about second from last as it is now.

I just feel that anyone (particularly new) searching this forum would find it beneficial to see this right at the top - even before Intoductions - rather than tucked away inconspicuously near  the bottom. As much as its great to have a topic which allows new owners to introduce themselves, I think it's only fair to allow owners subject to recall requests to have readily found and easy access to the experiences of others, so they can form their own judgement. 

Many thanks again Steve,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

21 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Steve,

Many thanks for coming back on this and for your action to get this particular thread to the top of the Audi Recall topic. 

What I actually meant, and probably didn't explain properly, was that I thought the whole vitally important topic of Audi Recalls deserved a position as near to the top- if not the top-  of the whole forum rather than about second from last as it is now.

I just feel that anyone (particularly new) searching this forum would find it beneficial to see this right at the top - even before Intoductions - rather than tucked away inconspicuously near  the bottom. As much as its great to have a topic which allows new owners to introduce themselves, I think it's only fair to allow owners subject to recall requests to have readily found and easy access to the experiences of others, so they can form their own judgement. 

Many thanks again Steve,

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Your welcome Gareth, glad I could be of some help :) 

unfortunately, I'm unable to move the recalls section but Il contact admin to see if we can get it moved. As you do raise a very good point and the ea189 is a hot topic right now. 

Leave t with me and il see what I can do :) 

Thanks again for all your advice and support Gareth :)

cheers 

steve 

Good evening all, I would like to say many thanks to all who have responded to this recent recall/update regarding the EA189 fiasco , especially those who are/ have been affected quite significantly/financially and emotionally. Although it is rather a large rain cloud hung over the VAG camp I would like to say I am extremely happy and still really enjoy my daily driving experience in my A6 .I wouldn't trade it for another vehicle . (Other than maybe a RS6 Avant) 😊😊😊👍👍

• Like 1

Many thanks again Steve, for passing this on, and I'm pleased that you too think this deserves to be aired in a prominent position (right at the top of the shop?) on the forum. 

Many thanks also for your kind comments. I think the forum members are eager to help one another as best they can, and I often wish I knew far than I do, to sometimes offer better quidance, but I think we all try.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Many thanks again Steve, for passing this on, and I'm pleased that you too think this deserves to be aired in a prominent position (right at the top of the shop?) on the forum. 

Many thanks also for your kind comments. I think the forum members are eager to help one another as best they can, and I often wish I knew far than I do, to sometimes offer better quidance, but I think we all try.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Your most welcome :) 

il give you a shout once iv got any info on this to see where it can be placed :) 

it is a very important topic which isn't going to go away for the VAG group any time soon. I think we could have another year to 18months of cars being called for the emissions update. 

As iv worked in a Volkswagen service department I cannot stress enough that the ea189 is not compulsory and I advise members NOT to have it done. I know I wouldn't have it done if my car was affected! 

I feel The risks are far too great. I saw plenty of Volkswagens requiring new egr/egr coolers and the worst case I saw was a car that would not start afterwards! 

Oh and for any modified cars it's a no no as the computer is remapped but the mods can also affect the recall being carried out properly. 

Again your very welcome :) I feel your advice and guidance should be recognised and thanked :) 

your depth of knowledge of all things Audi is great to have! :) 

i couldnt  agree more! Members on here are very helpful and I feel we a building a very friendly and helpful community of Audi owners :) 

cheers

steve 

• Like 2

Hi guys I had my A3 EA189 fixfail done 23rd of march about a week later started getting symptoms of struggling to start engine sound was different from before less power but didn't have any lights on my dash , spoke to Audi as I thought something isn't right, then thought I'll look on the internet see if anyone else has the same issues and it seems everyone who had it done was experiencing the same or worse symptoms, long story short I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine , well two who I no know what there on about and they both told me to remap my car , so had it done today and the drive was amazing with a little extra power as well more fuel economy and hopefully no more issues , so if you are experiencing problems after the emissions fix, go get your car remapped as it puts your car back to its healthy self . 

• Like 1

Nice work Andy, now sit back and enjoy your German Das Auto from Ingolstadt Motorenwerke AG.👍👍👍.Ich wunsche Dir einen schonen Abend 😊😊.It's missing a few '' in places but means have a evening..

• Like 1

On 11/06/2017 at 8:55 AM, Magnet said:

Kind regards,

Gareth.

All sorted Gareth :) 

after speaking to admin thy have now moved thebrecalls section further up the website. It should be a lot easier for new members to find :)

cheers

steve

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:23 AM, Trevor said:

Hi Julie...welcome to the Forum

It would be good to see what transpires on this topic...e.g. running a list of faults experienced following the update.

EGR is a component that generally suffers from clogging up with carbon and is usually a result of using the car on local runs and around town. This issue can be resolved by running cleaning solutions through it (either on or off the car) and then a good blast up the motorway holding in a lower gear with high revs to clear everything through.

It could be coincidence or if the limits are lowered by the update then the EGR will fall into being a faulty component.

I would try the cleaning solution first....you could try Terraclean at  www.terraclean.co.uk  and see if that resolves the issue before spending bug money on replacing parts.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers  Trevor

does terraclean work?

Good Morning

Im about to start with communication of a limp mode car after the fix!

the car only has 15000 miles on it and had no problems before. now has particulate filter, engine management  and emissions control lights on.

Ive read that the audi garage in Swansea has admitted that its the fix that causes the faults.

Could I ask if Bexybat got he repair for free? and how can you help me and others?

Also on Wednesday 12th July this issue is on BBC1 on watchdog

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard Briers said:

Good Morning

Im about to start with communication of a limp mode car after the fix!

the car only has 15000 miles on it and had no problems before. now has particulate filter, engine management  and emissions control lights on.

Ive read that the audi garage in Swansea has admitted that its the fix that causes the faults.

Could I ask if Bexybat got he repair for free? and how can you help me and others?

Also on Wednesday 12th July this issue is on BBC1 on watchdog

Hi Richard, 

sorry to hear of your predicament :/ 

i worked in a Volkswagen service department and saw cars come in with dpf and egr issues and often couldn't have the emissions recall done. 

I do hope the dealership checked the car computer for faults prior to doing the recall?! 

I do agree that this should not have happened on a car with 15k miles! 

I would expect some form of good will from Audi with regard to the repair. 

Keep us updated on how you get on. 

Cheers

steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all new to the forum and stumbled here after receiving my final warning from Audi re the EA189 as Ive not had it done yet.  As it's on official letter with the driving standards agency logo I'm just seeking clarification that it's is not compulsory to do. 

Im reticent to have the update as from reading around it's not been fabulous and has affected vehicles either in performance or caused other issues 

so any advice on whether to book it on or ignore it would be helpful. 

Thanks Prnny

It's your choice, you are not legally obligated to have it carried out , just ignore the letters and enjoy your Audi. Make sure though! ! that you specify when you book your Audi in for work that you have added to the paperwork NO TO THE EA189 UPDATE! !!. Its bad news for your Audi..I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Hello Penny,

I'm very much with Fast Edd on this and I too believe it is up to you to decide what you want to do about with Your car. If you take a simplistic view and ask yourself if you are happy with its current running and performance (which it seems you are), and if from what you read, you are likely to risk it becoming worse rather than better by accepting the recall, then I see you have the right to leave well alone. 

If it were mine I would do as Edd suggests and totally ignore these alerts and see what happens. I wouldn't take any risk of taking this 7 year old car anywhere near an Audi dealer, who could well ignore your dictate and just do it and argue about it after. Perhaps think twice about even taking it to an Audi independent, but preferably entrust your servicing to a trusted local garage. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the kind words Gareth, Penny, if your Audi is running well and has been for many miles adopting the attitude "if it ain't broke don't fix it" then you are going to continue hopefully down the same track.  Source a good Vag indy garage to carry out your regular servicing etc , their will be someone here that will know a trusted garage local to you . We hope the info been offered to  you will help you make an informed decision. Better still have a stage 1 remap and enjoy more👍.

Welcome to the forum Penny :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :)

I'm definitely with Ed and Gareth on this one! Don't have it done!! Audi can't force you too and it's not a legal requirement for it to be carried out as far advise you were aware the car was legal at the time of purchase.

It doesn't affect your tax, Audi basically just complete on online form to show your car has not had it done and you saying no doesn't affect your rights. 

The recall often throws up issues with your car with egr, egr coolers and even the DPF and other things which are often £1000+ repair. 

I speak from experience as I have worked at a Volkswagen service department!! 

I would never have it done!!! 

Cheers

steve 

• Like 1

As I see it, Steve is able to offer the benefit of advice from 'two sides of the counter', and although we must be realistic and appreciate bad news travels faster than good, there is sufficient bad news to think about steering clear on this and just enjoying the car as it is-  without further thought in my book.

One thing I would raise, to add to my bank of 'don't knows! , is will not getting it done affect the chance of it failing the emissions part of the MOT? 

One would think not, since with VAG's bit of previous technology! it was able to satisfy the emissions requirements before, and assuming the car's actual emissions remain within the previous limits, it should pass again. 

Assumption :- VOSA has not altered any requirements since this scandal - and is that just and assumption, or fact? 

Anyone with an experienced view on this? 

Kind regsrds, 

Gareth.

Hi Gareth, what I was told whilst working at Volkswagen was that the government/eu were going to take it out on Volkswagen and not the motorist thankfully. Hence the fine. So despite the cars cheating the emissions tests there will be no change for the motorist. 

I had my emissions recall done in April 2017 the car was perfect before I took it. They did whatever they did to it then gave my car back. I drove it about 2 miles when the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree the engine light on constant even still today also the coil light kept blinking. Now we're in September 2017 and car has been in limp mode for 4 weeks now. So far I've had a new maf sensor and a new battery still in limp mode though. Audi have broken my car I still have over 3 years to pay it off and it's out of warranty although the emissions work is still under warranty as they give you 1 years warranty on it. Should audi remove the emissions remap for free as I don't want it and would like it returned to how it was.

Edited by Tofferton78
Added more and spelling mistakes

Sorry to hear your problems regarding this Tofferton 78 , I'm afraid you are one of many unfortunately. It maybe that they didn't complete the update correctly. Providing evidence of this may be hard ! othere than your vehicle went in great and came out not great. It begs the question! ! did they road test after!!. With regards to reinstating the original software, they won't buddy .

13 hours ago, Tofferton78 said:

I had my emissions recall done in April 2017 the car was perfect before I took it. They did whatever they did to it then gave my car back. I drove it about 2 miles when the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree the engine light on constant even still today also the coil light kept blinking. Now we're in September 2017 and car has been in limp mode for 4 weeks now. So far I've had a new maf sensor and a new battery still in limp mode though. Audi have broken my car I still have over 3 years to pay it off and it's out of warranty although the emissions work is still under warranty as they give you 1 years warranty on it. Should audi remove the emissions remap for free as I don't want it and would like it returned to how it was.

Sorry to hear this, but you should definitely take it back to Audi and atleast complain. 

Id bet money that they tell you it needs a new dpf or egr/egr cooler. 

Also have you had a diagnostic check done on the car? 

Oh and I would strongly advise you don't drive the car in limo mode regularly as you can do more damage to it. 

Cheers

steve

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I appreciate that this thread goes back some what and some of you may have already forked out to repair your vehicles but hopefully this will help others. 

I took my A4 into the Audi store earlier this week after waiting 3 weeks for an appointment.

My malfunction light has been on for some time and there has been an intermittent smell of burning coming from the exhaust on shorter haul journeys along with noticable increase in heat when at the rear of the car. The error code was showing a lambda probe issue.

I had to pick my car up again from Audi the same day and have just dropped it off this morning.

By some very convenient coincidence I came home yesterday to a Service Action letter from Audi relating to EA 189 Diesel Engines - It's a goodwill policy following the Nox "fix" for all exhaust components. Which includes EGR, Injection System, Emissions After Treatment, Lambd probe, temperature sensor, EGR changeover valve, exhaust gas re circulation valve, exhaust re circulation pressure differential sensor,  injector, high pressure pump, fuel rail, pressure control value, pressure sensor and high pressure pipelines.

Essentially, Audi appear to start admitting that this "fix" causes significant issues for a portion of the cars which it has been applied to.

My car is back in today and I'm just waiting to see what they come back with!!

If any of you want a copy of the letter - please feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Scott 

53 minutes ago, scott_a03 said:

All,

I appreciate that this thread goes back some what and some of you may have already forked out to repair your vehicles but hopefully this will help others. 

I took my A4 into the Audi store earlier this week after waiting 3 weeks for an appointment.

My malfunction light has been on for some time and there has been an intermittent smell of burning coming from the exhaust on shorter haul journeys along with noticable increase in heat when at the rear of the car. The error code was showing a lambda probe issue.

I had to pick my car up again from Audi the same day and have just dropped it off this morning.

By some very convenient coincidence I came home yesterday to a Service Action letter from Audi relating to EA 189 Diesel Engines - It's a goodwill policy following the Nox "fix" for all exhaust components. Which includes EGR, Injection System, Emissions After Treatment, Lambd probe, temperature sensor, EGR changeover valve, exhaust gas re circulation valve, exhaust re circulation pressure differential sensor,  injector, high pressure pump, fuel rail, pressure control value, pressure sensor and high pressure pipelines.

Essentially, Audi appear to start admitting that this "fix" causes significant issues for a portion of the cars which it has been applied to.

My car is back in today and I'm just waiting to see what they come back with!!

If any of you want a copy of the letter - please feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Scott 

Hi Scott, I find this very interesting as when I worked at a Volkswagen service department we had a lot of cars come with failed egr valves and egr coolers! 

Agter that watch dog program I don't think the vag group can hide the problems anymore!

Please keep us posted on joe you get on. 

Cheers

steve

A friends Wife's A3 had its EGR fail post update and Audi are covering the cost of repair. Whether this is a new policy or good will due to them being a 2 Audi Family I cannot say but it would be good news to those experiencing the issue now and possibly retrospectively...