Advice re choice

Simon R

Hi all. 

Am new to this forum and would be grateful for some advice. I am planning to change my car from a "project" discovery 1 to something that suits my needs more nowadays. An Audi A4 estate is what I am planning to go for as I have not heard any bad reviews from those I know who have owned / driven an Audi. 

Regarding the A4 estate, I am on a budget of about £2500 - £3000 max. What kind of price or age should I be looking to grab a good deal? Are there any issues I should particularly look out for and things to avoid. 

In terms of economy and insurance, I am assuming diesel is still the way to go. 

Any other tips and advice would be very well received.

Many thanks. 

Simon. 

Hi Simon...welcome to the Forum

I don't think you can go wrong with an early(ish) A4 and I would always prefer a Diesel for the economy and durability.

As regards what to look for...service history from a reputable garage, not particularly a dealership and ensure all planned maintenance replacement items (such as cambelt and fluids) are replaced when they should have been.

Let us know how you get on with it all.

Cheers  Trevor

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/11/2016 at 9:24 PM, Simon R said:

Hi all. 

Am new to this forum and would be grateful for some advice. I am planning to change my car from a "project" discovery 1 to something that suits my needs more nowadays. An Audi A4 estate is what I am planning to go for as I have not heard any bad reviews from those I know who have owned / driven an Audi. 

Regarding the A4 estate, I am on a budget of about £2500 - £3000 max. What kind of price or age should I be looking to grab a good deal? Are there any issues I should particularly look out for and things to avoid. 

In terms of economy and insurance, I am assuming diesel is still the way to go. 

Any other tips and advice would be very well received.

Many thanks. 

Simon. 

Had mine from new for 12 years and little to complain about. Corrosion/seizure of the wipers mechanism is I believe common - but imagine that would have already failed on a car at £2-3k. Check the crappy plastic hinge on the glove box isn't broken - trivial but annoying.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have owned a 2003 Quattro Avant 2.5 TDI (180hp) for four years, third owner.  Ḷove the car, have done a fair bit of maintenance and upgrades on it.

A lot of people recommend staying away from the 2.5 TDI engine (soft cams, timing belt going out), but haven't had any issues with it so far (touch wood).  I like the engine's driving characteristics.  And it hasn't thrown a code in the four years I've had it, now at 196 k miles.

Mainly I have had to deal with worn suspension bits, replacing control arms, that sort of thing.  Now the dampers are beginning to go finally and I am looking to replace the entire suspension with a Bilstein B12 Pro kit. 

I stupidly broke the glovebox hing and the armrest hinge and hard to replace both, watch out for that!  Driver door electric went about 3 years ago, had to replace that.  Rear wiper seized due to leaking washer fluid, it's common problem, so check for leaks in the tailgate.

Any specific questions you might have?

• Like 1

Right now, Lyon.  I'm a Brit by origin, but usually live in Budapest, at the moment in Lyon for a year.  The A4 was bought in Berlin 4 years ago, where I think it had spent most of its life in quiet residence.  Since then, I've taken it to a total of I think 20 countries, from Greece and Albania (fun roads) and Romania, to Belgium and England at the other end.  Some of it towing a trailer.  Trips planned this year to Scotland, and Romania again.  Possibly Greece again, too.

Never caused an accident (touch wood), but I've been hit by other cars and motorcycles several times (and a truck) in Greece, Hungary, and France, and attempts to break in twice (car fended the vandals off both times with its strengthened glass; they were unable to gain entry despite very forceful attempts).   France is the worst, to be honest.  Both for the driving and the two attempted break-ins in the first two months, which never happened during three years in Greece, Romania, Albania, Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Bosnia, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Croatia!

Possible trips for the future: Turkey, Ukraine, Russia!

• Like 1

Wow....the A4 is extremely well travelled then :yes:

and seen it's fair share of excitement and incidents as well by the sound of it.

I take it you like driving then?  Why not post up some notable roads in the Road Trip section of this Forum, always looking to find and share great new driving routes and destinations

http://www.audiownersclub.com/forums/forum/87-road-trips/