Rear window and lock not working in same door

Markie

Hi all

This is my very first post so hi to you all. 

Im sure this question will have cropped up before but I'd like to ask you all.  The passenger rear window and central lock is not working.

as for the window this does not function from any point wether it be from the door or the drivers switch. The lock is pretty much the same it's unlocked and won't lock at all not even with the key. Now due to them both not working in the same door I'd assume the issue is related but I just don't know enough to be sure.

im hoping someone can advise me as it's probably happened before.

thanks in advance 

mark

Hi Mark....welcome to the Forum

It sounds like a wiring fault (possibly going into the door through the trunking) as if they have no power and may have broken the wire or popped a fuse.

Worth checking the wiring by pulling back the trunking and looking for broken wires

Let us know what you find

Cheers  Trevor

Hi Trevor

thanks for the reply. Over the Christmas period i took the car to the one auto electrician open. He had it for half a day and simply said after testing what ever unit is in the door wasn't communicating with his testing device. he pulled back the rubbers between the two doors and said they were fine. He did also say that it may not be the door unit at fault. I checked the fuses at the side of the steering wheel. Id take it back to the technician but he wants the car for two days or so so was thinking I may be able to at least take a look for myself and run the car. 

Thing is I just don't know enough about whats in the door and how and if the window and door relate to each other or like you say they just have a common wire?

Thanks 

Mark

Just now, Trevor said:

it just sounds like there's no power going to the components within the door....

where do I start, is there any fuses other than those near the steering wheel? 

I would probably start by removing the door card and seeing what's going on in there and then running a live feed and earth wire to the disconnected components to ensure they are working. Then I would trace back from the component to see where the fault lies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trevor said:

I would probably start by removing the door card and seeing what's going on in there and then running a live feed and earth wire to the disconnected components to ensure they are working. Then I would trace back from the component to see where the fault lies.

Ok i'll give that a go.Do the window motor and the central locking have related wires?

Thanks again

Just now, Trevor said:

I would have though quite possibly so, but almost certainly they would share an earth which could be the cause

:yes: see how it goes. thanks

• 7 years later...

Hi,

Did you get to the bottom of this? I'm having the same issue. The rear door card and lock has been replaced but still no luck.

Edited by A3_8P

A(nonymous).

Given that this thread is over seven years old it is unlikely you will get a response from the originator. Nevertheless there are some useful suggestions in it. Have you tried any of them?

• Like 1