TPMS let me down

Envy

So on the way home last night - good M-way speed and there is a loud bang, rattle of something around the wheel arch / bucket and then nothing more of note for a mile... I am sat there thinking if a tyre has gone then I will get a warning from the TPMS but as the M-way went to the left there was that ominous shimmy to the right. Made my way to the hard shoulder to find the O/S/R flat.

On with the hazard lights, out with the warning triangle and time to acquaint myself with the spare wheel and tolls of the car. Warning triangle is so light and flimsy that every truck passing blew it down the hard shoulder towards me.

Got the wheel off to find a perfectly round hole in the profile the size of my little finger. No TPMS warning??!! 

Got the space saver on and pulled away - 200 yards up the road TPMS pings up a warning. Better late than never I suppose. Now I understand that Audi TPMS works around the wheel rotation using ABS sensors (?) - how in the hell can it not detect an instantaneous deflation is my question?

A couple of good points to come out of this experience are-:

A: The car behaved well despite the sudden loss of a tyre to the point I did not notice for so long

B: I have discovered that the Car will average over 55 MPG in the right circumstances (space saver spare on and cruise at around 60 on M-Way.

Ironically on the way into work this morning (2 new boots on the back) and passing the exact location of yesterday's incident and the TPMS goes off again. 

Probably pure coincidence that the TPMS light went off at the same location, cannot think why it didn't measure a smaller rolling diameter when you lost all air...weird!

At least the upside is the increased MPG though, :-)