Clicking sound from wheels

Dan84

My 2014 rs6 has a clicking noise coming from both front wheels. I can hear the clicking only when both windows are down and driving slowly. The sound does speed up as I speed up. If I press the brake it doesn't make a difference in the sound so can't be the disc or pads. 

With windows up I can't hear a thing! 

Had new oem pads fitted 6 months ago. But clicking been there for the past 3 months. 

Anyone no what it could be? 

Describing the sound Its like a stone stuck in the tyre. Or like an exhaust sound when it's cooling down and starts ticking away. 

Thanks

Hi Dan...welcome to the Forum

It could be wear in one of the CV joints but you usually only hear a clicking on acceleration and deacceleration if there is wear present.

Otherwise, probably brake pads chattering due to missing anti-squeal shims.

Cheers,  Trevor

Hello Dan,

'Like a stone stuck in the tyre'. Wondered if you have actually had the tyres inspected for picked- up debris such as a screw or bolt. I find that it is always worth eliminating the possible simple causes before moving on to more complex reasons. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi guys. Thanks for the replys. 

Definitely no stones screws ect in tyres. 

The noise comes from both sides for sure. I have even jogged along side of the car and it does sound like it's coming from the brakes! But not 100% sure. 

disc are grooved yes. 

Making me think it's the shims. They do look dry. I no when they changed the last pads they didn't copper slip the shims that sit ontop of the calliper. 

I will try and get a video. 

Even if I roll in neutral still clicks. 

You should not use Copperslip on the shims Dan. Others will correct, but I think you now use a thin sliver of silicone grease. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Jack up the car, turn the wheel to check if it is both or one of them . This will rule out a stone or screw in the tires if its still there. Also u might find the point of the click with should help indentify what is it 

• Like 1

Just noticed it doesn't do it while it's cold! Tried to get a video coming off my drive this morn and wasn't making any noise! So will go for a blast today and re do the video. So it's something that happens when it's warm. 

Will jack it up tomz (day off) and try the above but would have to get it really hot in order to hear the noise... 

ar won't use copper slip then lol will look for silicone grease. I no they didn't put any grease at all on them when did my pads 

My money is on the drive shafts. When cold all the bearings sit in a different position to when warm. If sound is worse when fully locked left or right then it's related to outer CV joints. If it doesn't make a difference to noise then it's the inner joints and or sliders.

i would't grease back of pads at all unless you think you need to. Copper slip, grease etc etc doesn't really matter what you use, it collects crap and dust and dries out so each time you service breaks it needs cleaning off and fresh put on. Less is most definately more when/if applying.

Be interested to hear what happens when you have it jacked up. Leave the other wheel touching ground to ensure only one side is turning at a time.

23 hours ago, Dan3222 said:

My money is on the drive shafts. When cold all the bearings sit in a different position to when warm. If sound is worse when fully locked left or right then it's related to outer CV joints. If it doesn't make a difference to noise then it's the inner joints and or sliders.

i would't grease back of pads at all unless you think you need to. Copper slip, grease etc etc doesn't really matter what you use, it collects crap and dust and dries out so each time you service breaks it needs cleaning off and fresh put on. Less is most definately more when/if applying.

Be interested to hear what happens when you have it jacked up. Leave the other wheel touching ground to ensure only one side is turning at a time.

Mate had the car jacked up today put it in drive wheel was spinning fast and no noise at all :( even got in and pressed the brakes on and off no noise. Jacked car down rolled back and forth and it's ticking away. So only happens under load! 

When stationery and I spin the steering wheel right to left I can here a click on the left when turn left and right click when turn it right. 

Must be driveshafts! 

My car has wheel spacers on. Maybe that's put strain on the drive shafts. As it's both sides! 

Car has warranty for 2 more months. Do you think they would do this under warranty? If not where can I buy new drive shafts from? 

Maybe it's the wheel bearings? 

Another vid. When I brake you can hear the sound changing like a creaking sound. 

Also when I went around a bend the sound near enough stopped until straightened up again. 

IMG_1804.MOV

If the clicking stops when cornering then I would say wheel bearing. As the wheel loads up laterally the clicking would stop. Not going to bet on it but used to take cars to smoothest tarmac around and test for bearing noise this way. Could be the bearing cage picking up. not bad enough to feel wheel wobble when shook by hand. 

50 minutes ago, Envy said:

If the clicking stops when cornering then I would say wheel bearing. As the wheel loads up laterally the clicking would stop. Not going to bet on it but used to take cars to smoothest tarmac around and test for bearing noise this way. Could be the bearing cage picking up. not bad enough to feel wheel wobble when shook by hand. 

Strange how it's both sides though? Wheel spacers caused this? 

Have made sound clips links above doesn't work for some reason 

You can see when the wheel turns slightly the sound stops. 

All vids from diver side front but passenger side is worse! 

I have Iistened to those clips an I can definately hear it. 

If it was bearings then you would here a rumble noise while traveling at speed, say 50mph. To test which side has gone you would hear the noise more if drivers side has gone when you turn left for example. But typically you wouldn't hear a noise like what you have going slow.

Before going any further I would be tempted to take a wheel off, then spacer and then the disc. Ensure all the mating surfaces are 100% clean and then put back together. If that doesn't cure it then surely the next step is drive shafts. However, if you have the warranty I would be giving them a call. Because drive shafts are not cheap and I would only fit OEM ones to your car!!

keep us posted mate.

6 hours ago, Dan3222 said:

I have Iistened to those clips an I can definately hear it. 

If it was bearings then you would here a rumble noise while traveling at speed, say 50mph. To test which side has gone you would hear the noise more if drivers side has gone when you turn left for example. But typically you wouldn't hear a noise like what you have going slow.

Before going any further I would be tempted to take a wheel off, then spacer and then the disc. Ensure all the mating surfaces are 100% clean and then put back together. If that doesn't cure it then surely the next step is drive shafts. However, if you have the warranty I would be giving them a call. Because drive shafts are not cheap and I would only fit OEM ones to your car!!

keep us posted mate.

Ye mate well booked in Audi Thursday. Have explained what's wrong. Going to take the wheel spacers off before I take it in as they may try and say it's because of the spacers it broken summit. Will give it a proper good going over see if I can see anything out of place. But even when the pads was changed he did check all around the brake system and didn't find anything wrong. I thought it was the pads at 1st until changed and it's the same lol

will keep u posted. Thanks for the help mate 

Did you clean up the faces?? With spacers you have to follow protocol as if you are changing to new brake discs. You have to ensure all faces are very clean so that the disc sits 💯 to hub. And then wheel to disc. When spacers are added there is an additional face, more chance of irregularities in mating surfaces. My guess is somehow there was a bad seating and this was causing just enough movement to make a clicking sound but only when there was weight on them i.e. Wheels back on ground. Hope that makes sense, my English is not the best and struggle to get it all out there lol.

Result though mate, a rare cheap fix!, I would keep an eye on it though just in case. 

• Like 1

update. Still no clicking 

didnt clean spacers or anything mate. Maybe when I had new tyres few months back they didn't tighten wheels up properly. Or didn't fit spacers properly not to sure but it's sorted!

thanks for you guys help apprciat