Newbie, A3 Quattro sport 1.8 Turbo as a track car?

Snowcol

Audi A3 Quattro sport 1.8 Turbo as a track car?

Hi, new to the forum so hope you can help.

I am considering buying an Audi A3 Quattro 1.8 turbo sport ,  with 140k miles and a very good service history to use as a track car. It is standard The the moment but I will do air induction, exhaust mods then map it.

What's your thoughts on suitability as a track car, just for occasional fun days out. It's on standard wheels, 16" I believe.

What mods would you recommend and if lowering , by how much ?

Does it need full coilover set up or are lowering springs enough?

Any advice on taking out the understeer you can get with some heavy fronted cars or is this not a problem?

Thanks for your help

Ps the car is 2000 on a W plate

Welcome to the forum :) 

In my honest opinion I think the a3 you've suggested has too higher mileage. You'd be better off getting one with less 100k miles and with full service history. 

For any track car coilovers or suspension kit is a good idea. I.e. Lowered springs with matching dampers. And uprated Brakes is recommended. All thebengine mods are correct too :) 

hope iv helped 

cheers

steve

Cheers Steve. 

I'll keep my eye open for a lower mileage car. Also thinking leon cupra might be a fair alternative. Same engine I think. If I can find an S3 in my price range that would be great. Ideally a car with some of the mods already done would save me getting my hands dirty!

Whats your thoughts on leon cupra?

Thanks for your help

Cuppa would make a great alternative and might give you more budget for mods.

Mr Q is right on suspension and brakes but budget for best tyres you can get for grip. Power isn't everything..............

Your welcome :) 

Well thought of Dan! Tyres are very important too! 

Seat Leon Cupra is a fantastic car and and a great alternative :) a work colleague has a heavily modded one and it is quick (at least 160mph iv seen from his) 

they should be cheaper too :) 

oh an upgraded intercooler could be advisable ;) 

theres a few of us going to VAG Tuner Live on Sunday 16th July if you want to join us? 

Might beba good way to get some ideas :) check out the events page for more info :)

Thanks Guys - There are heaps of Cupras and quite a few Cupra Rs on eBay and gumtree so I would expect they would be available cheaper.  I have been running Nankang NS2R tyres on my Hillclimb / Sprint MX5 and also on my road Mk1 MX5 They are great value and definately agree about grip v power! 

I am not very knowledgable on Turbo / boost / intercooler etc. You mention an upgraded intercooler - is this an important feature in a modded car then? I assume it feeds cold air in to cool the turbo or am I completely wrong in that?

Cheers

Colin 

Your welcome :) 

Leon sounds like a more feasible proposition for you in my opinion and yes the intercooler cools the turbo :) 

but to be fair if you start off with the basics: induction kit, sports exhaust/manifold, tyres, brakes, and suspension it'll be a good start :) 

Yes, the Intercooler cools the boosted air before it goes into the inlet manifold this is because the turbo puts a fare bit of heat into the air, have you ever seen a turbo heat up to glow red?

Which ever engine you go for your best to see what is the max people have got out of it without any new engine parts like Intercooler etc etc then find out which is the first limiting factor. Different engines will have different safe outputs even though they are the same cc. I am replacing the 1.8t in my golf mkIV. I believe from memory that I am swoping the AUM for the AGU, better head for tuning and a KO3 turbo, but I can keep the standard exhaust Intercooler etc. But if I wanted to go towards the 300bhp mark it would need manifold, down pipe, exhaust, Intercooler, injectors to name but a few items plus a remap so the ECU doesn't have a melt down!!

The VWmkIV site is a great site for looking at what people have done to these engines. 

10 hours ago, Dan3222 said:

The VWmkIV site is a great site for looking at what people have done to these engines. 

Sorry I meant U.K.-mkivs site.

If you do go down the Cupra route though then please update what you have done enginewise on here, we need more tuning threads 😈

Mind you, keep an eye out for an MOT failure A3, you might get a cheap one that way!?!