Front bumper nightmare

lloydyd

Hi all

Had a mare this morning, when reversing in the office car park, i ran over a metal parking bollard. Thinking there was enough clearance (as the bollard was flat on the ground), I reversed and must have caught the front spoiler and this is the result. Half of it ripped off and now the rest in hanging on. Kwik fit next door are going to cable tie it, but I really don't know if its worth making an insurance claim...my excess is only £100 or so, but worried that my premium will go up like mad if i make a fault claim...can it be glued??...any thoughts folks? 

She is an old girl, so didn't really want to spend too much on her....

20170511_085302.jpg

20170511_085300.jpg

What a nightmare!!

you could melt this back together (okay for plastic melting rods) or fibre glass it from behind. (I would do a little bit of both) but melting/welding it back together will be the least unsightly afterwards.

However, as it's not a rare colour you might find a half decent second hand one on eBay or try 247 Spares many others available!! You might be lucky and get one in the right colour.

• Like 2

I feel your pain! I caught my a6 front bumper the other day when taking it to the garage! 

Mine will need the lower bumper respraying :( 

I'd say buy a new bumper on eBay and not to put it through the insurance. They might try and write it off! 

• Like 2

Hello Lloyd,

Sorry to hear of your problem. One thing I wouldn't do is to claim on - or even notify - your insurers. Am I being daft in thinking that if you did claim, the chances are they would declare this beyond economical repair due to its age. And, even no fault accidents will result in a significant hike of premiums at renewal. No worries since bonus protected? Um, it means just that, and not that the premium will not escilate. 

Back to the problem :- I too agree with Dan's advice, and it's quite easy to weld the plastic back using a good soldering iron for example. You will be surprised how it will work out, particularly if you can introduce an additional bit of supporting bracketry. 

Of course, Steve has a very good idea about trying to find a replacement which I guess will cost you less than your excess, but worth having a go at plastic welding it back in place first - nothing lost.

Good luck with it.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

That is a good find Piotr!!

autocorrect changed eBay to Okay for welding sticks. So frustrating sometimes because my English is bad enough as it is!!