Central locking problem

Thibaultplace

Hi Guys,

My central locking wasn't working for a while, i had the vacuum pump changed and it semi worked.

I would open my door with the key then once i put key in ignition and turned it the rest of the doors would open.

If i didn't do this quickly enough my alarm would go off. The mechanic told me that i shouldn't use the buttons on my remote as it would set the alarm off.

does anyone have an idea of what it could be. From information i have found it could be the ignition coil which needs changing, which is a right faf to get to or potentially wiring problems.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

T

Hi Thibault,

I had a similar problem with my a6. I had to unlock it via the drivers door and again if I did not do it fast enough the alarm would go off. The car ended up going to an auto electrician and the drivers door lock mechanism had to be replaced. It cost me £120. 

I deffo think it has nothing to do with your key as the symptoms are the same as mine and I did not have the keys replaced or re-coded. (or they weren't re-coded to the best of my knowledge when it went in for repair).

Hope iv helped.

Cheers

Steve

Hello Thibault,

Not too up on this but my stab at it would be along the lines of Steve's advice. Ignition coil?? Not sure what you mean by this.

I would think the CL system is controlled by the driver's door lock as Steve says, and this would be my first port of call. Removing the door panel will provide access, and you might well find that a good clean with contact cleaner and WD 40 might well help. As you can apireciate, there will have been a fair bit of water passing down from the window seals over the years and this can take its toll on such things.

I have found that even injecting some WD40 down into the lock  area without taking the panel off sometimes gives results.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Steve & Gareth,  

Thank you for the advice i will try to give it a clean with w40 and contact cleaner (when the dam rain stops) and then if that doesn't work will get replacement door lock mechanism as on eBay they seem to go for the £30 mark.

I didn't mean the ignition coil, can't remember the name of it it is on the steering wheel at the bottom of where the key enters.

Seriously appreciate all the help.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi Thibaultplace

Did you swap the pump with one that has the same part number as it is the remote receiver as well, I noticed your in Reading I'm in Basingstoke with full vcds one evening if you can get to Basingstoke I could scan your central locking system so we can see what is going.

Also I have just broken a 2001 1.8t so have a working pump switches and fobs if needed.  

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

on my Audi A3 2003, central lock just stopped from one day to another. Can’t open with remote nor the metallic key. Totally locked out and no signal. Anything I can try before calling someone to break in?

thanks,

DG