Thicker oil

Miguel167

Hi, I have an Audi a4 b6 2.0 petrol 130k and she's been using some oil, 1l every 1200 miles... I don't mind doing some top ups between services but I was wondering if I could use a thicker oil... If so what do you recommend? 

Thanks! 

If it were me I would use the recommended oil as per the handbook. I'm unsure if or what other oil you could use but I'm sure other members will be able to help :) 

cheers

steve

• Like 1

Hello Miguel,

Perhaps a couple of questions if you don't mind:- 

Have you actually been changing the oil yourself or getting oil changes done? If yourself, what brand of 5w30 have you been using? 

Are there any signs of blue smoke on acceleration, or evidence of any oiliness at the end of the exhaust?

Has this oil burning suddenly occurred, or just gradually getting worse, and if so, over what period of time/mileage? 

Others more experienced than me with this particular engine will possibly discount this, but have you looked at and cleaned, the crankcase breathing system - if it has one- which I would have thought it has. 

Once we know a bit more, it might be worth changing the oil using the recommend grade which I would believe to be the 5/30 fully synthetic you are using, but using the Quantum brand which VAG recommend. I would invest a bit more and use their Longlife 3 grade.

If it then still uses oil then I guess you could try a good quality 5w/40 fully synthetic oil and see what happens with that.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

I do the oil change by myself, and I use Castrol Edge 5w-30, no blue smoke and no oiliness on exhaust, and between the 10k miles that I done since owning the car it always was like this... Never check the crankcase breathing system to be honest but I will!

• Like 1

Hello Miguel,

Now with more knowledge about the symptoms then probably ignore the trial of using Quantum oil, and I guess it's worth a try with a good quality 5/40 fully synthetic. If you do find any issue with the breather system, then it would first be worth simply continuing with the Castrol Edge to see what happen. 

Others will offer more informed information, but do I recall some comment about some if these engines using oil?

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1