Rhythmic Thumping at Low Speed

Archway Kid

Hello chaps,

I am very sorry to start an introduction with a problem but this has got me quite worried. 

So this morning, I start my car and, on acceleration, hear this rhythmic 'thump, thump' of a sound like I have a flat tyre. I only hear it at low speeds and disappears (becomes faint) at high speed. Any ideas what this might be? Checked my tyres and it wasn't flat or anything. Really annoying and has got me quite worried. 

It's a 2006 A3 Petrol Automatic but in pristine condition as it was hardly used with only 16000 miles on it. 

Any help appreciated chaps. 

Jay

Edited by Archway Kid
To make the issue more clear

Welcome to the forum Jay :) 

sorry to hear your having issues. 

Youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

i would say a wheel bearing but as it only happens at low speeds I'm stumped. Wheel bearings normally make noise when worn at high speeds. 

Sorry I can't help more. 

Cheers

steve

Hi Trevor,

Right on further diagnosis, I got my initial diagnostic wrong. :) 

So, with the windows up, there is a thumping sound on low rev which increases on high revs. But on putting my windows down I could hear a tapping/ clicking sound from the right side of the wheel. Does this help with the assessment? This tapping/ click increases as I accelerate. 

Let's say the sound is to your left when you're driving so when looking at the engine bay it will be on your right ;) and there's no other symptoms at all other than a noise? 

Aah you're not that far at all! I mean if you can get a video that would be better though, I know from experience not from doing the work myself so maybe someone with more experience from a garage would be a better option :)

It's probably me, but I'm rather lost with the description of the symptoms here. From tyre type noises (assumed to be at actual road speed ) to tinkling EGR valves - presumed when revving the car while standing. 

So it would help if we know if this sound is when the car is being driven, and is speed associated, or if being revved at standstill, or on the move. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

4 hours ago, Magnet said:

It's probably me, but I'm rather lost with the description of the symptoms here. From tyre type noises (assumed to be at actual road speed ) to tinkling EGR valves - presumed when revving the car while standing. 

So it would help if we know if this sound is when the car is being driven, and is speed associated, or if being revved at standstill, or on the move. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Gareth, I agree with you that the description so far is a little confusing. In defence of the OP It's sometimes very hard to put into words a fault on a car.

Mr the Kid, am I right in thinking that the noise is not associated with engine speed, so if the engine is running but the car is not = no noise. But when the car is moving there is a noise?

your description does not typically describe a bearing as this is 99% of time described as a grumble or drone while traveling at speed.

Option 1, Do you have upgraded wheels and maybe even spacers? Ill fitting upgrades cause crunching clicking thumping noises. You could try take no of the front right wheel and then putting it back on or even put a spare on. If noise goes away then you know it's wheel related.

option 2, as there is no juddering felt when driving this rules out inner  CV joint. But does the noise get louder if you are cornering? Indicating outer CV joint!

Hope that helps a little

dan

Thanks Dan,

Not wanting to pre judge what the OP is going to say when he fills in a bit more detail, but if this turns out to be a noise when the car is on the move, then I would certainly not discount this being tyre associated without removing the wheels and getting all surfaces of the tyres thoroughly inspected by a good local tyre company. Simply looking at the outside and judging if the pressure is OK would not be sufficient.

We were told that this car is 11 years old but has covered only 16k miles, and I guess there is a possibility that the tyres might still be the original ones. If so, I would say it's definitely time to get these closely inspected before looking for any other component faults.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Alright chaps. So I took her to the mechanic ( Marlborough Service Station// recommended) off Hornsey Road. 

And it was this fecker. A bolt properly wedged in the flat end of the tyre. Which explains the clicking when the windows are down. But perhaps the thumping when the windows are up.

No thumping/ clicking since the removal. All fine. 

Thanks for your help and concern. I love this forum. 

Jay 

IMG_0005.JPG