I'm back, and with a broken car!

rbdazza

I've been quiet for a while, got made redundant in July so been drowning my sorrows, hiding out, going camping of course job hunting.

Anyway, yesterday to top it off the car broke down. Struggles to start and when it does it won't rev and glow plug light flashes, then it'll cut out.

Fuel related, must be. Code that comes back is low fuel/rail pressure. I want to start from the back (cheapest and work forward) but i can't find where the tank access is, does any one know?

Also, when should the sender pump run? i've read that it runs when you unlock the car? i've had both fuel hoses off under the bonnet and am getting no fuel, but i need to confirm when that pump should run. I haven't seen an error code for the sender pump but there could be a blockage?

ta mate, i'm sure it will all come well in the end.

1 other question, can anyone confirm which pipe under the bonnet is the supply and which is the return? one of them has the feed from the leak off pipes attach to it

i think i've answered my last question, one line has a sensor which i assume is the temp sensor and the other has the return from the injector leak offs. i'm assuming that the one with the sensor is the feed, as we only need to know the temp of the feed fuel.

so, i've got both pipes sat in a bottle and i've tried locking unlocking and putting the key in, one of which should activate the pump, i'm pretty sure i can hear it trying to pump. i've also tried initiating the pump from VCDS but it errors out due to safety, which i assume is fuel too low!?

now i'm wondering if itsgot any diesel in lol, gauge is on 1/8th so off to get a jerry can and carry on testing...

Fuel temp sensor is actually on fuel return pipe mate. 

Access to tank is in boot, right hand side close to the back seat.

Sorry to hear about the job. Been there done that one. Living where I live so far from anything it was hard to get a job that paid enough to keep the house. So I tried my luck at self employment, 3 years 11 months later still  at it and surviving. My point there is always something.

Does sound like primary pump issue, you don't need to take key out of ignition to use the prime function just turn ignition off and back to position 2 for 5 seconds and repeat. However if you have VCDS that's best. But just in case your not sure, the primary pump should only pump for 1-5 seconds. Best of luck, with everything.

Hello Darren,

Just wanted to say I'm really sorry to hear about your job. It probably isn't going to be of of much reassurance but this happened to me twice in close succession, and both times I was fortunate to be remployed (within the same organisistion in my case) and my career took a turn for the best - as has been said.

Every good luck to you Darren, and I too am sure it will work out for you. 

Can now understand you being off the air. Not that it matters, but things have been a little touch and go here health scare wise, but all has now been declared well. Yippee! Keeping involved here and with other things has kept the mind occupied, so keep your hand in.

Sorry I can't assist with your car problem - I would have turned to you for guidance with such things!! 

Take care Darren, and sincere good luck.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

thanks for your messages guys. i'm enjoying the time off (secretly) although would be better if the car was running as i'd be off camping again if so! 

So, i was right on the fuel feed, found the option in VCDS to run the tank pump and goit a good spray of diesel EVERYWHERE! So decided that it's eother HP pump or injector/s. I have to bow my head and admit its in the garage, lol. They've called and said that for sure number 4 injector has had it, so one of them on order. Fingers crossed that there is nothing else at fault! 

If it's just the injector i'll get them to do the long overdue cambelt whilst its in. I've recently done the oil and filter so will treat it to a diesel and air filter too.

Hi Darren

Great to see you back, sorry to hear about the job and the car....but at least it all looks on the up now though.

Keep us updated on the progress with both car and job.

Gareth, sorry to hear about your health issues but also glad to hear that things are okay now.

Cheers,   Trevor

• Like 1

not too worried on the job front just yet,. playing it by ear.

the car i am hoping will be ok today. although £200 to get an injector same day was a kick in the balls. i suppose i could have just picked the car up and paid the £50 diags and finished the job myself but on this occasion i am leaving it to the pros lol.

plus, don't wanna !Removed! them off as i've got my ex's civic in the same garage for a gearbox fault