A5 3.2 Coupes

matty34

Hi all,

I'm looking to move from my 53 plate Nissan 350z to an A5 3.2 auto, coupe, but wanted to get some info.

This would be my first Audi, and I can't find too much info on the A5 3.2 - especially when it comes to the Pros and Cons, and what should I be looking for when looking to buy.

Wondering if anyone could provide me a lowdown on them?

Cheers in advance! 

Matt

Hi Matt.....welcome to the Forum

It would be worth having a trawl through the A5 section of this Forum to see what crops up as a potential or recurring fault.

Also, look under Audi Recalls section, there are some bits and pieces in there for the A5...not that they all catch fire though :-(

Another issue is one which affects all diesels in the VAG range and that is the emissions recall....lots of info on that in here as well.

Let us know if/when you get an A5

Cheers,  Trevor

Welcome to the forum Matt :) 

youll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

on looking at any a5 check to see if it has full Audi service history because if it has you can ring Audi to see what work it has had done recently. 

As trevor said most of the diesels will be affected by the emissions scandal and if it were me I wouldn't buy one that has had the update done. If the update has been done recently on a car for sale then you have to wonder if this is the reason why it is for sale if that makes sense? 

Also check to make sure the auto box changes gears smoothly as repairs can be expensive. Along with ''tis make sure that all electronic components work too as some of them can be expensive to replace. 

Mine thing it may be worth doing with any potential car is ask the seller if they would be happy for you to have an independent inspection carried out. If the owner is reluctant or refuses then you have to wonder what they or the car has to hide! Companies such as the AA and RAC offer this service. 

Also any a5 with Quattro check to see when it was last looked at. In connection with this check the condition of the tyres as the Quattro system is very sensitive and can be damaged by uneven tyre wear. 

Hope iv helped :) 

cheers

steve 

• 2 months later...

Hi Matty 

I currently own a 2008 A5 3.2fsi Quattro.  I’ve had it a few years and the only thing I’d watch for is the electric window motors / regulators.  Just replaced one of mine.  Don’t expect great economy, but I’m sure you know this!!  Even eco mode is sharp! Stick her into S and make sure your head is in contact with the headrest!! What I like is that it’s real power, none of the electronic trickery or turbos!  Tyre wear isn’t too bad as long as you don’t skimp on decent brands! Michellin or Yokos!

Pros

Fast in all conditions.

Reliable.

Great looking.

Snow and bad weather suitable with Quattro.

Cons

Poor economy (who cares!)

High tax UK.

Window regulators can be prone to brake.

Put it this way I have no plan to get rid of mine and love it! I’m also an ex-suspersport racer and this is the first car that’s close to the thrill of a super bike! 

013FA820-DAC9-4ED7-946A-265A34B2853B.jpeg