HasssA3

Hi all,

I picked up my Audi A3 a few months ago and noticed a strange smell coming from the windscreen washer tank. Noticed it a few times when cleaning my screen on the motorway but thought it might be the A/C. After further investigation (sticking my nose inside the WW tank) its definitely not the AC! :yucky:

Did a quick search online and found it is a common problem and there is most probably bacteria/algae in the reservoir tank. I've tried all the methods listed online apart from taking the tank out, as i'm sure you can appreciate, is no easy feat on these cars. I came across "Aqua Tabs" on amazon for roughly £6 (link below) which is meant to cleanse water so much so, that you can drink it - definitely don't want to check if this is true or not! However I thought it might do the trick. 

So purchased the tablets and got my fingers crossed that it works, as my next option would be to remove the tank :( 

Just thought i'd pop it on here as a topic in case anyone else is having the same problem. Will update thread to let you guys know if it works or not! 

Link for Aqua Tabs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clean-Tabs-Water-Purifying-Tablets/dp/B0018337GW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503059581&sr=8-1&keywords=aqua+tabs

20 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Can't say I have ever noticed any odour from the screen wash. Perhaps your problem is why most proprietary screen wash fluids have a strong perfume.

It's definitely got some sort of bacteria/algae in the tank. Hoping it gets sorted with these Aqua Tabs. Never had it on any of my previous cars. Even filled it up with a strong perfumed screenwash but didnt fix the problem.

2 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Hey Hasan, 

if the tablets don't work then your best bet is to drain the tank. I know that's a pain though.

keep us posted on how you get on. 

Cheers

steve

Thought about doing this, but thought if i drain the tank completely I could get bits of algae stuck in the washer pipes/jet??

Let's just hope this works, im sick of trying to see through a dirty screen just because I dont wanna smell of eggs! Lol

3 hours ago, HasssA3 said:

Thought about doing this, but thought if i drain the tank completely I could get bits of algae stuck in the washer pipes/jet??

Let's just hope this works, im sick of trying to see through a dirty screen just because I dont wanna smell of eggs! Lol

Have to agree with Cliffs suggestion on this one :) 

Aqua tabs should work.

If they don't, put a few drops of bleach into the tank then fill to the brim, leave over night. Next day empty the system but use the squirt function to clean the pipes out too. If your worried about bleach on car get the Missis to hold a hose pipe on car at same time. To dilute the bleach very quickly.

I have taken a few washer reservoirs out of cars before (especially if they have been garaged up) and seen what I can only describe as Pond Life growing inside them...:yucky: