Tire wear

Rob Wheeler

Hi, I recently had what I thought was a front wheel puncture, on inspection the inner rim of the tyre was worn away through to the metal casing! I took it to my local dealer who said the excessive wear may be tracking. After paying £180 they told me the tracking was within limits and to regularly check my tyre pressures.  The tyres had done K34 miles. I am not sure the tyres should be wearing like this. Any help would be great

Thanks 

Rob

The original poster - Rob- has told us that these tyres have covered 34,000 miles on the front of an A4 Sport. Piotr has rightly said over and under inflation can lead to tyres wearing out much quicker.

My feeling is to ask, is it reasonable to expect even correctly inflated front tyres to last and be road legal at this mileage on this car? I would believe not, but perhaps others may disagree with this. If someone was to say to me their front tyres on an A4 Sport were through to the canvas in part at this mileage -as this one was, would I be surprised? No, I wouldn't. 

Perhaps Rob has been fortunate here in avoiding an endorsement for an illegal tyre (maybe even double points for two illegal tyres), and even more fortunate that the car was not involved in an accident - which would likely to lead to an insurer not paying out. 

Is it reasonable not to notice part of a tyre becoming below the legal tread depth, and then continuing to use the car until the tyre finally (punctures) looses air? 

Sorry folks, but...

Kind regards,

Gareth.