Cambelt interval

Guya3

Hi all, can anyone tell me what the cambelt interval is on a 1.9tdi 2006 a3 please? 

My car is on 96k now and had a cambelt at 47k, is the cambelt done on mileage or time specific?  I'm sure I've read somewhere that on the 1.9tdi it's done on mileage and not on time, I. E so many years or x amount of miles

Hi there, all cambelts are mileage and time dependent. Usually they need changing from around 5-7 years or 80k which ever comes first. And the water pump should be changed at the same time. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope IV helped

Cheers

Steve 

Thanks Steve, I'm just wondering if I'll be ok for another 6 months or so, like I say my cars on 96k and the cambelt was done at 47k in 2012 so it's coming up to 50k miles on this belt and 5 years

I'd say you do need to.potentially look at getting it changed but it depends on how many miles you do a month. For example in my case I'd do 12,000 miles in a 6 month period. 

Also when your shopping around for quotes it might be worth seeing what deals Audi have on as they often have offers for cambelt and water pump changes. They will even do a free health check too. 

Cheers

Steve

Hello Guy,

I think it's great that you are treating this with the responsible concern it warrants. As you probably know, ignoring this, or trying to extend the service period (as you ask for advice on) increases the risk of simply wrecking the engine, which of course, is never worth the extra time over getting it done.

I would simply contact say two Audi dealers in your area and ask the question in relation to the known history of change for your car. It will indeed be X miles or X years -  whichever comes first. I learnt a long time ago (at the expense of having a snapped belt on a Cavalier) that manufacturers review these periods based on updated experience. 

I would add that when you decide to have this done, do not run the risk of treating this as a best cost job. If you are not having it done at a main dealer then cheaper quotes usually mean aftermarket kits and using aftermarket water pumps. The water pump plays a vital link in this set up, and some aftermarket (most?) can be substandard and cause issues - as if you had ignored getting the belt done in the first place! 

Main dealers often have offers on cambelt changes as Steve says.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

3 hours ago, Magnet said:

Blinking heck Patrick. £649? I think I must be well out of touch with the costs. I'd be wanting gas and air! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Had half paid by garage where I bought the car from so was £325 for me 😆

Hello Patrick,

Glad to hear someone is paying for your £792 EGR valve replacement on your 5 year old car.

You don't tell us whether this is being paid for by Audi as a result of the dealer carrying out the emissions recall, or as part of the warranty, no doubt offered by the used car dealership you bought it from. In other words, the used car dealer will be paying the Audi dealer.

I'm sure that if you read the posts under Recalls, you will see owners of cars with similar problems following having these recalls carried out, have found themselves having to pay these bills themselves, so yours would be a breakthrough if the bill is being met directly by Audi themselves. 

Could you let us know clearly on this since it would  be most helpful for others. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

34 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Patrick,

Glad to hear someone is paying for your £792 EGR valve replacement on your 5 year old car.

You don't tell us whether this is being paid for by Audi as a result of the dealer carrying out the emissions recall, or as part of the warranty, no doubt offered by the used car dealership you bought it from. In other words, the used car dealer will be paying the Audi dealer.

I'm sure that if you read the posts under Recalls, you will see owners of cars with similar problems following having these recalls carried out, have found themselves having to pay these bills themselves, so yours would be a breakthrough if the bill is being met directly by Audi themselves. 

Could you let us know clearly on this since it would  be most helpful for others. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

In first place the showroom where I bought the car was going to pay for it then one guy told me on other audi forum to call emission centre AUDI which I did told them what happend and he gived me claim number or refrence to have it free of charge 

• 3 weeks later...

OK Guys, so I decided to have a go at doing my Cambelt and waterpump change myself, Happy to say all went well, really not hard to do at all, I sorted a full Cambelt kit and waterpump from a local Motor factors for £76 (dayco Kit)

And £11.28 for 5ltrs of G12+ coolant 

Total spend less that £90 all in

Took me about 5 hours in total from start to finish, but saved myself about £400 so well happy

Going to do a sevice tomorrow too, so my cars all spot on👍